Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Authentic event site?

  • Robert Van Rens
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 9, 2007
      This post has a splendid idea! Pity it has fallen out of favor...

      >From: Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...>
      >
      >At Pennsic, I said, people drink walk around drinking right out of
      >coke cans, and eating fudgecicles, and there were very many more
      >mundanities than he would be used to from the Outlands.

      And also many, many more incredibly elaborate attempts at period encampments
      and structures; Pennsic has both extremes on the spectrum. I can stand in
      front of the Tudor House talking shop with Master Simon, getting my medieval
      on, and then someone of the male persuasion in shiny Lycra tights, no shirt,
      motorcycle boots, and a one-liter Coke bottle will insinuate himself into my
      field of vision. Really harshes the medieval buzz.

      YMMV...my memories of the Outlands were of a lot of "Celtic" barbarians and
      the "Kilt and Katana" crowd...not so much mundanities as just not period.
      And yes, I was one of the undifferentiated masses of "medieval-y" types -
      you know, short tunics, baggy pants, ring belt, black full-circle cloak,
      long shaggy hair and beard, no headgear, etc.

      >Here, the start about hiding all modern drinking containers has
      >always been an accepted assumption. When I joined, there was a fine
      >in the barony for mundanity. The local sheriff's job was to go
      >around and ask people to cover coolers and put their cars farther out
      >of site and such. I think it was a dime and went up to a quarter
      >after a while.

      I thnink this is a wondrful idea. Perhaps the fine could be commuted for
      those who make a significant effort to hide the farby stuff...

      >I remember people from other kingdoms thinking it was
      >terrible, that people didn't have a right to "make" people try to be
      >more authentic.

      Whyever not? Isn't that part of our stated goal, is to recreate medieval
      life?

      >As the group got bigger and there were worse offenses for security
      >guys to worry about than coke cans, the practice was dropped.

      Pity. It is a practice which would stand us in good stead today.

      Eadric the Potter, who finds it harder and harder not to join the Period
      Police. Instead, I remind myself "lead by example. Lead by example." So
      far, it seems to be working.

      Awards´┐Ż http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2
    • Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 11, 2007
        Everyone has given such wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. I have quite a list of sites bookmarked now. I think I will be busy for some time.
        Thank you again.

        Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
        Incipient Shire of Drakelaw
        Oaken Region, Middle Kingdom