Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic event site?

  • JAMES REVELLS
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 7, 2007
      Hej!
      The biggest challenge of the SCA is that you are responsible for how
      authentic you want to be. It is also one of the biggest freedoms of the
      SCA. There are groups that have a very limited historic period along with a
      very narrowly defined geographic location. They are great many of them do
      very interesting events, but they are all small. There are some events that
      are done in different Kingdoms that use sites that at least look period.
      The site that was used for the first Baronial Investiture in Stonemarche was
      a stone church that was about 100 years old & done in a Gothic revival
      style. It was a great place for an event & sat about 100 people. "A Market
      Day at Birka" is held in the largest convention center in NH (Stonemarche),
      it isn't in the least a period looking site, but it hold 1500-2000 people
      who come to shop each year. There are sites being built by SCAdians in TN,
      AL & OH that are being made by individual groups of SCAdians as site to hold
      events. They are mostly being built as NPC's & administered much as the SCA
      is. There are even a couple of groups in the SCA which have "Land Funds"
      set up so they can buy land to build places to have events. We as a group
      are still growing so we don't have many places to hold events that are
      period or even peroidal, things will get better if we all keep trying to
      make our own interpretation of our chosen time & place as good as we
      possibly can and all work to help the SCA grow & others learn the joy of
      doing it right.
      Pax,
      Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord

      Jim Revells

      Olaf's Plunder

      "A Different Kind of Art Gallery & Gift Store"

      Open 10 AM to 6 PM
      Additional Hours by Appointment

      802-464-6200

      23 West Main Street
      Post Office Box 1926
      Wilmington, VT 05363
      .
    • Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 11, 2007
        Everyone has given such wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. I have quite a list of sites bookmarked now. I think I will be busy for some time.
        Thank you again.

        Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
        Incipient Shire of Drakelaw
        Oaken Region, Middle Kingdom