Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic event site?

  • Kendra Deveraux
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 7, 2007
      [MODERATOR'S NOTE - Please do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator]

      Having played SCA now for not much longer than you have, my comments
      come more from 15 years doing black powder living history (rendezvous,
      however you call it). I honestly love the idea of becoming more
      authentic, but one of the things that I also love about SCA is the ease
      in which newbies can join. By encouraging (and I am reading that it
      would be a requirement for that event to be authentic) all period
      events, you unfortunately make it much more difficult to participate due
      to the simple fact of cost. Fifteen years ago when my family started
      black powder, our first event cost almost $1000 not including travel,
      food, or spending money. My first event in SCA cost $10-15 for
      daytripping and I could borrow clothes so the amount was much nicer.

      If it bothers you that much, do something about. Be responsible for
      making and storing tableclothes or chair coverings. Help the feastocrat
      or feastocrat yourself and find a period menu. By doing your part then
      it will help you feel better. We as a Society must all work on what is
      available. If you want a period event (and all of the work entailed)
      then bring it up to your shire, and spearhead the idea.

      I have some of the same concerns as you do and I try to make what I do
      the most period I can. Slowly as I make garbs for newbies, I don't just
      show them the quickies tunics, I help them make patterns that fit and
      show them how to maximize what they can sew. We can all do a little and
      make a big difference.

      In service,
      Kendra Deveraux
    • Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 11, 2007
        Everyone has given such wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. I have quite a list of sites bookmarked now. I think I will be busy for some time.
        Thank you again.

        Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
        Incipient Shire of Drakelaw
        Oaken Region, Middle Kingdom