Authentic event site?

  • Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 7 10:07 AM
      I hope I'm not speaking from total ignorance here. I have been plaing in the SCA for about 2 years, but only officially joined a few months ago. I am already disillusioned by the lack of interest in authenticity among the players.

      OK, that said, here's my question. Is there an event anywhere in the SCA that actually tries to duplicate - across-the-board authentically - a given historical time/place? I've been to RenFaires that all pretty much do a totally pathetic job of imitating Elizabethan times. There are so many modern distractions (not counting the visitors) that no one can even begin to believe they are walking through 16th century England. It's more like a Halloween party. After several disappointing RenFaires, I was encouraged to check out the SCA, and here I am. Happier, much happier, but still not satisfied. Maybe I'm being too picky.

      Yet there are tiny reenactment groups scattered about the world that meet to re-live particular battles with completely period food, clothing, and accomodations. I know a husband/wife team who are American Civil War re-enactors; he is an low-ranking "officer" in his regiment and she is a camp follower (officer's wife). It's certainly not a particularly fun past time, but they absolutely love the historicity and the experience of participation two or three times a year. They sleep in tiny period tents, cook over a camp fire, eat "government rations" out of tin dishes, and drill, drill, drill with the "company" before going off to "fight" the particular battle they are re-enacting. It sounds like they've got it right, but these groups are tiny, local, and very narrowly focused.

      I would like to be able to go to a Middle Ages event and "step into history" - and know that the garb I am wearing and seeing on others is "real," that the food I am served is period and the cook doesn't have a can of Coke sitting on the counter next to her teflon frying pan, and that the "building" (house, hut, cottage, whatever) that I am standing in is an authentic re-creation and not a rented hall with metal folding chairs and newsprint-covered folding tables.

      When I was in my teens, I visited Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, VA, and spent the day visiting "Germany" and "England" and "France." Nowhere near "authentic" but the experience has stayed with me for several decades. I have been fascinated with historical re-creation ever since. Now imagine attending an SCA event and walking through history from one site to another - 6th Century Wales, 11th Century Norman England, 14th Century Scotland, etc. - all completely period clothing, food, and buildings.

      I think what I'm looking for is probably impossible on such a large scale. :-) Is there an SCA event anywhere that is dedicated to recreating even one time/place authentically?

      Thanks.

      Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
      Incipient Shire of Drakelaw
      Oaken Region, Middle Kingdom

    • Ceindrych merch Rhiagad
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 11 7:05 PM
        Everyone has given such wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. I have quite a list of sites bookmarked now. I think I will be busy for some time.
        Thank you again.