And, BTW, Congratulations! (Was Re: Period glazes)

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@...> wrote:
      > O (Dame) Christian de Holacombe, OL - Shire of Windy Meads

      BTW, congratulations to Dame Christian who became a member of the
      Order of the Laurel at Twelfth Night. Doesn't she look lovely in green?
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/sets/72157594472083958

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        > I have finally found a local potter who is willing to take on custom
        >work, but she need to know what type of glaze I want. Not being a
        >potter, (or knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have
        >suggestions of books or links on period glazes (looking at 1100
        >AD,Briton)

        Try asking on the Potter's list
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Potters/

        Ranvaig
      • Tom Apple
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2009
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "katiecakes10000" <katiecakes100@...> wrote:

          >>> I have finally found a local potter who is willing to take on custom work, but she need to know what type of glaze I want. Not being a potter, (or knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have suggestions of books or links on period glazes (looking at 1100 AD,Briton)<<<<

          I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't see this info in any replies, I'd figure I would post this out there.

          Most glazes of the period for earthenware would consist of a lead glaze, very fine clay slip (terra sigilatta), or sometimes both.

          Stamfordware from that period mostly used a lead glaze. Of course for health reasons you don't want to use a lead glaze, but you can replicate one. Lead glaze appears as a clear amber color. Kind of like honey, but usually more yellow.

          This can be achieved by using a low fire clear glaze with some yellow colorant and a tad of black iron oxide. The effect on white clay will be amber-yellow, on red clay it will be a reddish-brown.

          On some pottery you will see splashes or speckles of green, or all green. This was achieved by adding copper to the glaze. Sometimes it was sprinkled or brushed on to the lead glaze. To replicate this you can use copper carbonate. We would often apply it by mixing it with water and putting it in a spray bottle and spritzing on the glazed vessel. You can control it so its just a few speckles or mostly covers it. The copper carbonate will fuse with the amber glaze during firing to become green glaze.

          Also note that most pottery was dip glazed, so runs and dribbles are just more of the individual charm to a piece.

          I hope this might be of some use.

          Regards,

          Tom A.

          The Hussite Kompagnie