Re: Period glazes for pottery

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > "katiecakes10000" wrote:
      >
      > I have finally found a local potter who is
      > willing to take on custom work, but she need to know
      > what type of glaze I want. Not being a potter, (or
      > knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have
      > suggestions of books or links on period glazes
      > (looking at 1100 AD,Briton)

      Second-hand from conversations with potters,
      especially Hroar Stormgengr (sp), OL, Mid, it seems
      the common color for glazed pottery was
      partly-reduced-iron green. I think it's Fe++, as
      transition metals are often stable at ++, and Fe+++ is
      rust-red.

      I remember something about a book with '1000 glazes'
      which should have been subtitled '975 of which are
      green'. :)

      hth
      Ann in CT

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        At 5:27 PM +0000 2/3/07, katiecakes10000 wrote:
        > I have finally found a local potter who is willing to take on custom
        >work, but she need to know what type of glaze I want. Not being a
        >potter, (or knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have
        >suggestions of books or links on period glazes (looking at 1100
        >AD,Briton)

        Not books, but I know a historical potter who ought to be able to
        help you. Take a look at Moonstone Pottery:
        http://www.moonstonepottery.com

        The Products page has a list of glaze colors at the bottom:
        http://www.moonstonepottery.com/products

        Considering you're not planning on competing with her, the owner
        (Barbara Flynn) is quite a nice person, and might be able to point
        you in the direction of some helpful resources. (Though she may not
        want to share her exact formulas -- trade secrets, y'know.)

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@...> wrote:
          > O (Dame) Christian de Holacombe, OL - Shire of Windy Meads

          BTW, congratulations to Dame Christian who became a member of the
          Order of the Laurel at Twelfth Night. Doesn't she look lovely in green?
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/sets/72157594472083958

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
            > I have finally found a local potter who is willing to take on custom
            >work, but she need to know what type of glaze I want. Not being a
            >potter, (or knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have
            >suggestions of books or links on period glazes (looking at 1100
            >AD,Briton)

            Try asking on the Potter's list
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Potters/

            Ranvaig
          • Tom Apple
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15 11:12 AM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "katiecakes10000" <katiecakes100@...> wrote:

              >>> I have finally found a local potter who is willing to take on custom work, but she need to know what type of glaze I want. Not being a potter, (or knowing anything about pottery), does anybody have suggestions of books or links on period glazes (looking at 1100 AD,Briton)<<<<

              I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't see this info in any replies, I'd figure I would post this out there.

              Most glazes of the period for earthenware would consist of a lead glaze, very fine clay slip (terra sigilatta), or sometimes both.

              Stamfordware from that period mostly used a lead glaze. Of course for health reasons you don't want to use a lead glaze, but you can replicate one. Lead glaze appears as a clear amber color. Kind of like honey, but usually more yellow.

              This can be achieved by using a low fire clear glaze with some yellow colorant and a tad of black iron oxide. The effect on white clay will be amber-yellow, on red clay it will be a reddish-brown.

              On some pottery you will see splashes or speckles of green, or all green. This was achieved by adding copper to the glaze. Sometimes it was sprinkled or brushed on to the lead glaze. To replicate this you can use copper carbonate. We would often apply it by mixing it with water and putting it in a spray bottle and spritzing on the glazed vessel. You can control it so its just a few speckles or mostly covers it. The copper carbonate will fuse with the amber glaze during firing to become green glaze.

              Also note that most pottery was dip glazed, so runs and dribbles are just more of the individual charm to a piece.

              I hope this might be of some use.

              Regards,

              Tom A.

              The Hussite Kompagnie