Re: [Authentic_SCA] Ideal Elizabethan trip?

  • Natasha Laity Snyder
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      The British Library and the Victoria and Albert Museum (depending on
      the exhibits). I would also go to Stratford upon Avon.

      I'd also go to St. Micheal's Mount in Marazion, Cornwall because is
      is one of the most beautiful places imaginable. You can see pictures
      of it at www.cornwallcam.com

      Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek

      On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:41 PM, msgilliandurham wrote:

      > Greetings to the list, and my apologies to those here who don't do
      > Elizabethan -- but the Elizabethan lists I've found seem to be *very*
      > low traffic -- if you know of a better place for me to post this
      > query, please let me know.
      >
      > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
      > places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
      > would you go?
      >
      > Kentwell, of course, the Mary Rose, The Weald and Downland Museum, and
      > Hatfield House -- where else?
      >
      > TIA, Gillian [no, I'm not planning an actual trip, but I can dream,
      > can't I?] Durham

      Natasha Laity Snyder
      tangwystel@...
      "

    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        For those of you who are dreaming, like Gillian; - or who will be visiting the UK and are interested in the Tudor/Elizabethan Period as well, here's a short list of a few links to such historic sites I've visited......
        http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/southchurch/southchurch.htm - Southchurch Hall pictures
        http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/ - Prittlewell Priory picture
        http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/ - pictures of Barley Hall, York
        http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-batemans.htm - Bateman's
        http://www.penshurstplace.com/ - Penshurst Place, Kent, home of the Sidney Family
        http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/sudeleyair.jpg - pictures of Sudeley Castle
        http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/gallery14.html - pictures of Hatfield - Old Palace
        http://larae.net/photo/england/stratford/ - Stratford upon Avon Shakespearian buildings pictures
        http://www.owlpen.com/ - Owlpen Manor, in the Costwolds
        http://www.cheniesmanorhouse.co.uk/ - Chenies Manor House
        http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-bucklandabbey/ - near Yelverton, Devon, home of Sir Francis Drake [They don't heat this house due to concerns about preservation, so dress warmly unless you visit in high Summer.]
        The Cathedral Town of Salisbury has many preserved buildings from the Tudor/Elizabethan Period, as well as the wonderful Cathedral, now without scaffolding round the main building for the first time in many years.

      • Aliskye
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
          The Museum of London where I believe the Cheapside Horde is on display.

          regards,

          aliskye
        • Dragon
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
            [MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the members of this list, kindly sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator]

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com,
            > msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
            > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
            places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
            would you go?

            All Good Choices, I have a friends hoping to "do" Kentwell this year.

            > 1] Barley Hall, in York.
            > 2] The Hospital of St. John & The Cross, in Winchester.
            > 3] Prittlewell Priory, Prittlewell, Essex.
            > 4] Southchurch Hall, Southchurch, Essex.

            For those who ARE able to make the trip to the UK some time in May,
            (Date to be confirmed,) The Wincester Pilgrimage will be taking place
            again. The reason I mention it is because we STAY in the Hospital of
            St John and the Cross.

            It's a Bautiful place and so nice to "play" in a propper medieval
            venue. They are kind enough to basically give us the Run of the
            place. Last year's event was BRILLIANT.