Re: Ideal Elizabethan trip?

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      OK, I don't even DO Elizabethan and I know that the Victoria & Albert
      Museum is a must for textile geekery.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • Natasha Laity Snyder
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        The British Library and the Victoria and Albert Museum (depending on
        the exhibits). I would also go to Stratford upon Avon.

        I'd also go to St. Micheal's Mount in Marazion, Cornwall because is
        is one of the most beautiful places imaginable. You can see pictures
        of it at www.cornwallcam.com

        Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek

        On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:41 PM, msgilliandurham wrote:

        > Greetings to the list, and my apologies to those here who don't do
        > Elizabethan -- but the Elizabethan lists I've found seem to be *very*
        > low traffic -- if you know of a better place for me to post this
        > query, please let me know.
        >
        > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
        > places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
        > would you go?
        >
        > Kentwell, of course, the Mary Rose, The Weald and Downland Museum, and
        > Hatfield House -- where else?
        >
        > TIA, Gillian [no, I'm not planning an actual trip, but I can dream,
        > can't I?] Durham

        Natasha Laity Snyder
        tangwystel@...
        "

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          For those of you who are dreaming, like Gillian; - or who will be visiting the UK and are interested in the Tudor/Elizabethan Period as well, here's a short list of a few links to such historic sites I've visited......
          http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/southchurch/southchurch.htm - Southchurch Hall pictures
          http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/ - Prittlewell Priory picture
          http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/ - pictures of Barley Hall, York
          http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-batemans.htm - Bateman's
          http://www.penshurstplace.com/ - Penshurst Place, Kent, home of the Sidney Family
          http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/sudeleyair.jpg - pictures of Sudeley Castle
          http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/gallery14.html - pictures of Hatfield - Old Palace
          http://larae.net/photo/england/stratford/ - Stratford upon Avon Shakespearian buildings pictures
          http://www.owlpen.com/ - Owlpen Manor, in the Costwolds
          http://www.cheniesmanorhouse.co.uk/ - Chenies Manor House
          http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-bucklandabbey/ - near Yelverton, Devon, home of Sir Francis Drake [They don't heat this house due to concerns about preservation, so dress warmly unless you visit in high Summer.]
          The Cathedral Town of Salisbury has many preserved buildings from the Tudor/Elizabethan Period, as well as the wonderful Cathedral, now without scaffolding round the main building for the first time in many years.

        • Aliskye
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
            The Museum of London where I believe the Cheapside Horde is on display.

            regards,

            aliskye
          • Dragon
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
              [MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the members of this list, kindly sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator]

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com,
              > msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
              > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
              places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
              would you go?

              All Good Choices, I have a friends hoping to "do" Kentwell this year.

              > 1] Barley Hall, in York.
              > 2] The Hospital of St. John & The Cross, in Winchester.
              > 3] Prittlewell Priory, Prittlewell, Essex.
              > 4] Southchurch Hall, Southchurch, Essex.

              For those who ARE able to make the trip to the UK some time in May,
              (Date to be confirmed,) The Wincester Pilgrimage will be taking place
              again. The reason I mention it is because we STAY in the Hospital of
              St John and the Cross.

              It's a Bautiful place and so nice to "play" in a propper medieval
              venue. They are kind enough to basically give us the Run of the
              place. Last year's event was BRILLIANT.