Ideal Elizabethan trip?

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      Greetings to the list, and my apologies to those here who don't do
      Elizabethan -- but the Elizabethan lists I've found seem to be *very*
      low traffic -- if you know of a better place for me to post this
      query, please let me know.

      If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
      places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
      would you go?

      Kentwell, of course, the Mary Rose, The Weald and Downland Museum, and
      Hatfield House -- where else?

      TIA, Gillian [no, I'm not planning an actual trip, but I can dream,
      can't I?] Durham
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
        Greetings to the list, and my apologies to those here who don't do Elizabethan -- but the Elizabethan lists I've found seem to be *very* low traffic -- if you know of a better place for me to post this query, please let me know.

        If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where would you go?

        Kentwell, of course, the Mary Rose, The Weald and Downland Museum, and Hatfield House -- where else?

        TIA, Gillian [no, I'm not planning an actual trip, but I can dream, can't I?] COPMMENT
        1] Barley Hall, in York.
        2] The Hospital of St. John & The Cross, in Winchester.
        3] Prittlewell Priory, Prittlewell, Essex.
        4] Southchurch Hall, Southchurch, Essex.
        For those who don't know of this latter building, it's a medieval moated manor on it's own mound, very close to Southend-on-Sea, in the County of Essex.
        The building and it's lands belonged to the See of Canterbury for centuries, first held by the De Southechurch family; and then held by a succession of tenat farmers.
        At the beginning of the last century, when my father was a young lad, it was still a working farm; I recall him telling me he'd been friendly with the farmer's son, and had often eaten in the kitchen.
        . In the 1930's the farmlands were sold for development into garden suburbs; and the Hall and it's extensive grounds passed into the care of Southend County Borough Council.
        By the 1940's, when I came to know Southchurch Hall, the grounds had been developed into a lovely wooded park, and the Hall, largely unchanged in structure, had become a Branch Library, where I spent many happy hours.
        Since I left Southend-on-Sea, I am told there has been a "change-of-use", and the Hall is now operated as a museum, by the County Borough Museum Service.

        YIS,
        Matthew Baker.

      • GEOFF SCHEMELL
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          If I was going to do an "Elizabethan" tour of London,
          I'd have to include Shakespeare's Globe Theater, the
          Tower of London, and Westminster Abbey.

          Of course St. James Park would be a nice way to spend
          a couple of hours treading the same ground where Henry
          VIII hunted deer and Elizabeth threw a lot of parties.
          While you're there you can make a stop by St. James
          Palace and check out where good ol' Bess lived.

          -- Lord Fulredy
        • mackayjenn
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hampton Court Palace, I think it's named. Henry VIII stayed there. I
            have a book about the place at home. Pretty neat.

            Gemma Northwood
            Antir
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
              OK, I don't even DO Elizabethan and I know that the Victoria & Albert
              Museum is a must for textile geekery.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
            • Natasha Laity Snyder
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
                The British Library and the Victoria and Albert Museum (depending on
                the exhibits). I would also go to Stratford upon Avon.

                I'd also go to St. Micheal's Mount in Marazion, Cornwall because is
                is one of the most beautiful places imaginable. You can see pictures
                of it at www.cornwallcam.com

                Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek

                On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:41 PM, msgilliandurham wrote:

                > Greetings to the list, and my apologies to those here who don't do
                > Elizabethan -- but the Elizabethan lists I've found seem to be *very*
                > low traffic -- if you know of a better place for me to post this
                > query, please let me know.
                >
                > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
                > places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
                > would you go?
                >
                > Kentwell, of course, the Mary Rose, The Weald and Downland Museum, and
                > Hatfield House -- where else?
                >
                > TIA, Gillian [no, I'm not planning an actual trip, but I can dream,
                > can't I?] Durham

                Natasha Laity Snyder
                tangwystel@...
                "

              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
                  For those of you who are dreaming, like Gillian; - or who will be visiting the UK and are interested in the Tudor/Elizabethan Period as well, here's a short list of a few links to such historic sites I've visited......
                  http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/southchurch/southchurch.htm - Southchurch Hall pictures
                  http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/ - Prittlewell Priory picture
                  http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/ - pictures of Barley Hall, York
                  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-batemans.htm - Bateman's
                  http://www.penshurstplace.com/ - Penshurst Place, Kent, home of the Sidney Family
                  http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/sudeleyair.jpg - pictures of Sudeley Castle
                  http://www.ngfl.ac.uk/tudorhistory/gallery14.html - pictures of Hatfield - Old Palace
                  http://larae.net/photo/england/stratford/ - Stratford upon Avon Shakespearian buildings pictures
                  http://www.owlpen.com/ - Owlpen Manor, in the Costwolds
                  http://www.cheniesmanorhouse.co.uk/ - Chenies Manor House
                  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-bucklandabbey/ - near Yelverton, Devon, home of Sir Francis Drake [They don't heat this house due to concerns about preservation, so dress warmly unless you visit in high Summer.]
                  The Cathedral Town of Salisbury has many preserved buildings from the Tudor/Elizabethan Period, as well as the wonderful Cathedral, now without scaffolding round the main building for the first time in many years.

                • Aliskye
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
                    The Museum of London where I believe the Cheapside Horde is on display.

                    regards,

                    aliskye
                  • Dragon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
                      [MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the members of this list, kindly sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator]

                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com,
                      > msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
                      > If you were planning a trip to Britain and wanted to visit all the
                      places where you could get info on life in Elizabethan England, where
                      would you go?

                      All Good Choices, I have a friends hoping to "do" Kentwell this year.

                      > 1] Barley Hall, in York.
                      > 2] The Hospital of St. John & The Cross, in Winchester.
                      > 3] Prittlewell Priory, Prittlewell, Essex.
                      > 4] Southchurch Hall, Southchurch, Essex.

                      For those who ARE able to make the trip to the UK some time in May,
                      (Date to be confirmed,) The Wincester Pilgrimage will be taking place
                      again. The reason I mention it is because we STAY in the Hospital of
                      St John and the Cross.

                      It's a Bautiful place and so nice to "play" in a propper medieval
                      venue. They are kind enough to basically give us the Run of the
                      place. Last year's event was BRILLIANT.