Re: [Authentic_SCA] Other threads for handsewing

  • Cynthia J Ley
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
      If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
      Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
      (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
      very reasonable.

      Arlys
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
        <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
        handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
        some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
        wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
        those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

        My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
        wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
        SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
        Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
        years.

        Brangwayna Morgan

      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
          And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
          thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
          go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
          for my blue linen garb.
          http://www.needlestack.com

          Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
          i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita