Re: [Authentic_SCA] Other threads for handsewing

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
      On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
      > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
      > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
      > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
      > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
      > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

      I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
      of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
      wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
      http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
      have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
      with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
      for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
      those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
      use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

      (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
      the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
      out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
      just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
      it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

      Alianor de R.
    • Maggie Forest
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
        >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
        >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
        >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
        >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
        >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
        >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
        >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
        >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
        >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

        I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
        wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
        while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

        /maggie
      • asackville@juno.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
          Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
          I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
          different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
          Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

          Fionnuala
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
            If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
            Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
            (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
            very reasonable.

            Arlys
          • bronwynmgn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
              <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
              handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
              some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
              wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
              those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

              My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
              wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
              SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
              Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
              years.

              Brangwayna Morgan

            • Lilinah
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                for my blue linen garb.
                http://www.needlestack.com

                Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.

                --
                Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                the persona formerly known as Anahita