RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Another 'which edition' question

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
      > I am still hoping to get my hands on a Geneva edition (the
      > "Breeches Bible"
      > - ca 1533)

      Not the Geneva edition from 1587, but the ealrier version from 1533.

      Da Capt
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney@...> wrote:

        > I am still hoping to get my hands on a Geneva edition (the "Breeches
        Bible"
        > - ca 1533)
        > But that is the exact edition Bible my persona would have carried,
        as a
        > goode Eastr Anglian (neo Puritan) Protestant.
        > So I wants it, I waaants it! Preeeeecioussss!

        I have a copy of the 1551 edition of a Catechism printed in Scotland.
        It is Catholic and printed in English, which appears to me to be quite
        heretical for the time. It is fabulous though, has all the ceremonies,
        prayers, etc. I downloaded it from EEBO, which is an unbelievably
        fabulous resource if you have access to it. Most major universities
        have an account and some large public libraries do too. Because I was
        living in podunkville at the time, I talked my base library into
        getting a trial subscription for a week and then feverishly downloaded
        as much as I could. I got lots of the household receipt books from the
        16th century, many of which I had never seen before.

        It is a scan of the actual book (221 pgs) and I've been working on a
        project to somehow reprint and bind it for myself, but that comes
        under the heading of one of the 8,000 projects I have in my head that
        I will get to eventually. Grin.

        Toujours a vos ordres,
        Margaret Hepburn
      • bex_1014
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney@...> wrote:

          > > I am still hoping to get my hands on a Geneva edition (the
          > > "Breeches Bible"
          > > - ca 1533)
          >
          > Not the Geneva edition from 1587, but the ealrier version from 1533.
          >
          > Da Capt

          I think you still have your dates mixed up - the Geneva (Breeches)
          Bible, the translation made by English refugees from the persecution
          under Mary, was first published in 1560. 1533 sounds more like the
          Coverdale bible.
          Cheers,
          Rebecca