Other threads for handsewing

  • Ghita Amati
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
      While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
      handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
      some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
      wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
      those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

      Ghita
    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
        >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
        >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
        >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
        >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
        >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
        >
        >Ghita

        My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
        Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
        thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
        linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

        Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
        a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
        generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
        some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
        happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
        off-white).

        In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
        are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
        sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
        mention such things
        -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
        green wool thread in basic running stitch.
        -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
        wool thread in basic running stitch.

        Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
        "period" garment sewing
        http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
          On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
          > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
          > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
          > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
          > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
          > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

          I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
          of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
          wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
          http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
          have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
          with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
          for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
          those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
          use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

          (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
          the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
          out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
          just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
          it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

          Alianor de R.
        • Maggie Forest
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
            >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
            >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
            >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
            >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
            >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
            >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
            >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
            >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
            >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

            I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
            wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
            while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

            /maggie
          • asackville@juno.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
              Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
              I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
              different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
              Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

              Fionnuala
            • Cynthia J Ley
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                very reasonable.

                Arlys
              • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                  <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                  handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                  some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                  wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                  those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                  My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                  wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                  SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                  Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                  years.

                  Brangwayna Morgan

                • Lilinah
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                    And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                    thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                    go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                    for my blue linen garb.
                    http://www.needlestack.com

                    Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                    i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.