Re: Black silk for blackwork embroidery

  • Cilean Stirling
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
      www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

      Cilean
    • Ghita Amati
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
        While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
        handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
        some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
        wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
        those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

        Ghita
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
          >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
          >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
          >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
          >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
          >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
          >
          >Ghita

          My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
          Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
          thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
          linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

          Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
          a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
          generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
          some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
          happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
          off-white).

          In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
          are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
          sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
          mention such things
          -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
          green wool thread in basic running stitch.
          -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
          wool thread in basic running stitch.

          Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
          "period" garment sewing
          http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
            On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
            > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
            > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
            > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
            > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
            > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

            I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
            of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
            wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
            http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
            have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
            with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
            for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
            those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
            use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

            (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
            the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
            out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
            just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
            it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

            Alianor de R.
          • Maggie Forest
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
              >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
              >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
              >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
              >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
              >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
              >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
              >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
              >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
              >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

              I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
              wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
              while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

              /maggie
            • asackville@juno.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
                I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
                different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
                Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

                Fionnuala
              • Cynthia J Ley
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                  If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                  Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                  (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                  very reasonable.

                  Arlys
                • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                    <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                    handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                    some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                    wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                    those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                    My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                    wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                    SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                    Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                    years.

                    Brangwayna Morgan

                  • Lilinah
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                      And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                      thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                      go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                      for my blue linen garb.
                      http://www.needlestack.com

                      Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                      i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.