Re: Black silk for blackwork embroidery

  • Cilean Stirling
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
      www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

      Cilean
    • Cilean Stirling
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
        www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

        Cilean
      • Ghita Amati
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
          While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
          handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
          some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
          wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
          those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

          Ghita
        • Lilinah
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
            >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
            >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
            >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
            >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
            >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
            >
            >Ghita

            My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
            Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
            thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
            linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

            Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
            a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
            generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
            some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
            happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
            off-white).

            In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
            are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
            sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
            mention such things
            -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
            green wool thread in basic running stitch.
            -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
            wool thread in basic running stitch.

            Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
            "period" garment sewing
            http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

            --
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
            the persona formerly known as Anahita
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
              On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
              > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
              > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
              > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
              > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
              > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

              I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
              of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
              wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
              http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
              have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
              with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
              for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
              those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
              use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

              (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
              the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
              out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
              just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
              it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

              Alianor de R.
            • Maggie Forest
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
                wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
                while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

                /maggie
              • asackville@juno.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
                  I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
                  different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
                  Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

                  Fionnuala
                • Cynthia J Ley
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                    If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                    Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                    (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                    very reasonable.

                    Arlys
                  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                      <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                      handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                      some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                      wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                      those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                      My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                      wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                      SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                      Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                      years.

                      Brangwayna Morgan

                    • Lilinah
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                        And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                        thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                        go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                        for my blue linen garb.
                        http://www.needlestack.com

                        Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                        i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.