Re: [Authentic_SCA] Black silk for blackwork embroidery

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
      At 12:58 AM +0000 02/01/07, wodeford wrote:
      >You might also try these folks:
      >http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

      Yup, that's where i do most of my embroidery shopping.

      Do note that if you write to them and ask for suggestions, they'll be
      glad to help. They're happy to do personalized service.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
        Nordic Needle in Fargo, ND.... Fantastic selection for threads, pattern,
        booksas well as a great staff for online ordering, in person, and on the
        phone.

        http://www.nordicneedle.com/

        Smiles,
        Despina

      • Cilean Stirling
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
          www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

          Cilean
        • Cilean Stirling
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
            www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

            Cilean
          • Ghita Amati
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
              While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
              handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
              some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
              wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
              those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

              Ghita
            • Lilinah
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
                >
                >Ghita

                My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
                Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
                thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
                linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

                Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
                a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
                generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
                some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
                happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
                off-white).

                In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
                are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
                sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
                mention such things
                -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
                green wool thread in basic running stitch.
                -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
                wool thread in basic running stitch.

                Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
                "period" garment sewing
                http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

                --
                Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                the persona formerly known as Anahita
              • Sarah Michele Ford
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                  On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
                  > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                  > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                  > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                  > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                  > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

                  I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                  of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                  wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                  http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                  have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                  with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                  for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                  those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                  use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                  (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
                  the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
                  out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
                  just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
                  it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

                  Alianor de R.
                • Maggie Forest
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                    >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                    >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                    >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                    >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                    >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                    >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                    >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                    >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                    >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                    I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
                    wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
                    while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

                    /maggie
                  • asackville@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                      Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
                      I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
                      different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
                      Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

                      Fionnuala
                    • Cynthia J Ley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                        If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                        Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                        (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                        very reasonable.

                        Arlys
                      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                          <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                          handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                          some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                          wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                          those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                          My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                          wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                          SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                          Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                          years.

                          Brangwayna Morgan

                        • Lilinah
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                            And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                            thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                            go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                            for my blue linen garb.
                            http://www.needlestack.com

                            Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                            i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.