Re: Black silk for blackwork embroidery

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Peters, Rise J."
      <rise.peters@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for a source for black silk thread for blackwork embroidery.

      You might also try these folks:

      http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
        At 02:38 PM 1/1/2007, you wrote:

        >I recommend Kirsten Houseknecht, of The Fabric
        >Dragon<<http://www.fabricdragon.com>http://www.fabricdragon.com>.
        >Tell her what you're looking for, and she'll be able to help you with her
        >wide selection.
        >
        >Margaret Northwode, a happy customer of hers
        >
        >Seconded! That's where I got mine, too.

        Laurensa

      • Beth Lokey
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
          I got mine at a quilting & embroidery shop. If you have a shop in town
          that specializes in cross-stitch or other hand stitching, you might be
          able to find some there.

          Mina

          Beth Lokey, M.B.A.

          United Rentals # 252 & 025

          Phone (719) 591-8705

          Fax (719) 591-9860

          Veritas Nulla, Modo Fides

        • Lilinah
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
            At 12:58 AM +0000 02/01/07, wodeford wrote:
            >You might also try these folks:
            >http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

            Yup, that's where i do most of my embroidery shopping.

            Do note that if you write to them and ask for suggestions, they'll be
            glad to help. They're happy to do personalized service.

            --
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
            the persona formerly known as Anahita
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
              Nordic Needle in Fargo, ND.... Fantastic selection for threads, pattern,
              booksas well as a great staff for online ordering, in person, and on the
              phone.

              http://www.nordicneedle.com/

              Smiles,
              Despina

            • Cilean Stirling
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

                Cilean
              • Cilean Stirling
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                  www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

                  Cilean
                • Ghita Amati
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
                    While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                    handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                    some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                    wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                    those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

                    Ghita
                  • Lilinah
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                      >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                      >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                      >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                      >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                      >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
                      >
                      >Ghita

                      My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
                      Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
                      thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
                      linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

                      Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
                      a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
                      generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
                      some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
                      happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
                      off-white).

                      In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
                      are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
                      sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
                      mention such things
                      -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
                      green wool thread in basic running stitch.
                      -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
                      wool thread in basic running stitch.

                      Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
                      "period" garment sewing
                      http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

                      --
                      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                      the persona formerly known as Anahita
                    • Sarah Michele Ford
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                        On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
                        > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                        > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                        > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                        > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                        > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

                        I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                        of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                        wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                        http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                        have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                        with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                        for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                        those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                        use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                        (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
                        the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
                        out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
                        just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
                        it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

                        Alianor de R.
                      • Maggie Forest
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                          >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                          >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                          >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                          >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                          >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                          >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                          >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                          >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                          >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                          I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
                          wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
                          while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

                          /maggie
                        • asackville@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                            Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
                            I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
                            different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
                            Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

                            Fionnuala
                          • Cynthia J Ley
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                              If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                              Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                              (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                              very reasonable.

                              Arlys
                            • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                                <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                                handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                                some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                                wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                                those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                                My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                                wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                                SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                                Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                                years.

                                Brangwayna Morgan

                              • Lilinah
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                                  And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                                  thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                                  go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                                  for my blue linen garb.
                                  http://www.needlestack.com

                                  Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                                  i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.