Black silk for blackwork embroidery

  • Peters, Rise J.
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
      I'm looking for a source for black silk thread for blackwork embroidery.
    • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
        MODERATOR NOTE - AS A COURTESY TO THE GROUP, PLEASE DON'T TOP POST. THANK YOU.

        I got mine on ebay.
        Lady Elizabeth
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        I'm looking for a source for black silk thread for blackwork embroidery.
      • tasha_medvedeva
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Peters, Rise J."
          <rise.peters@...> wrote:

          > I'm looking for a source for black silk thread for blackwork embroidery.

          Try Threadneedle Street: http://www.threadneedlestreet.com or
          Hedgehog Handworks: http://www.hedgehoghandworks.com

          Tasha
        • Margaret Northwode
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
            I recommend Kirsten Houseknecht, of The Fabric
            Dragon<http://www.fabricdragon.com>.
            Tell her what you're looking for, and she'll be able to help you with her
            wide selection.

            Margaret Northwode, a happy customer of hers

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2007
              <rise.peters@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking for a source for black silk thread for blackwork embroidery.

              You might also try these folks:

              http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

              Jehanne de Wodeford
              West Kingdom
            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                At 02:38 PM 1/1/2007, you wrote:

                >I recommend Kirsten Houseknecht, of The Fabric
                >Dragon<<http://www.fabricdragon.com>http://www.fabricdragon.com>.
                >Tell her what you're looking for, and she'll be able to help you with her
                >wide selection.
                >
                >Margaret Northwode, a happy customer of hers
                >
                >Seconded! That's where I got mine, too.

                Laurensa

              • Beth Lokey
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                  I got mine at a quilting & embroidery shop. If you have a shop in town
                  that specializes in cross-stitch or other hand stitching, you might be
                  able to find some there.

                  Mina

                  Beth Lokey, M.B.A.

                  United Rentals # 252 & 025

                  Phone (719) 591-8705

                  Fax (719) 591-9860

                  Veritas Nulla, Modo Fides

                • Lilinah
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                    At 12:58 AM +0000 02/01/07, wodeford wrote:
                    >You might also try these folks:
                    >http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

                    Yup, that's where i do most of my embroidery shopping.

                    Do note that if you write to them and ask for suggestions, they'll be
                    glad to help. They're happy to do personalized service.

                    --
                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                    the persona formerly known as Anahita
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                      Nordic Needle in Fargo, ND.... Fantastic selection for threads, pattern,
                      booksas well as a great staff for online ordering, in person, and on the
                      phone.

                      http://www.nordicneedle.com/

                      Smiles,
                      Despina

                    • Cilean Stirling
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                        www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

                        Cilean
                      • Cilean Stirling
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2007
                          www.hedgehoghandworks.com is also a great place to get things from!

                          Cilean
                        • Ghita Amati
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 3, 2007
                            While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                            handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                            some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                            wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                            those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

                            Ghita
                          • Lilinah
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                              >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                              >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                              >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                              >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                              >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!
                              >
                              >Ghita

                              My understanding of European clothing is limited, since I focus on
                              Near and Middle Eastern, but my limited understanding is that linen
                              thread was used most (although not all) of the time, to sew wool and
                              linen. Yes, the colors won't match.

                              Linen was rarely dyed in Europe, as i understand, although there are
                              a few instances of dyed linen. In Medieval Muslim Egypt linen was
                              generally white (or off-white) and it was also dyed with indigo with
                              some frequency. Linen doesn't take most dyes well, but it seems quite
                              happy with indigo :-) Generally linen sewing thread is white (or
                              off-white).

                              In Medieval Muslim Egypt, sometimes wool was used to sew wool. There
                              are a number of surviving wool tunics, although information about the
                              sewing thread is not always given. However, one book i have does
                              mention such things
                              -- The orange wool tunic (dyed with madder root) was sewn with lime
                              green wool thread in basic running stitch.
                              -- The navy wool tunic (dyed with indigo) was sewn with madder orange
                              wool thread in basic running stitch.

                              Tangwystyl/Heather Rose Jones has a great series of web pages on
                              "period" garment sewing
                              http://www.heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

                              --
                              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                              the persona formerly known as Anahita
                            • Sarah Michele Ford
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                                On 1/4/07, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
                                > >While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                                > >handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                                > >some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                                > >wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                                > >those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!

                                I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                                of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                                wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                                http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                                have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                                with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                                for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                                those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                                use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                                (You'll probably notice that the linen at Webs seems pricey, but I did
                                the math when I was first making the move to linen thread and it comes
                                out much cheaper per yard when you buy it in huge quantities - so I
                                just sew everything with white. Sometimes it shows a bit, sometimes
                                it doesn't, and I don't sweat it too much.)

                                Alianor de R.
                              • Maggie Forest
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                                  >I second Urtatim's suggestion of linen thread. I've been doing most
                                  >of my handsewing with it for several years now - I got a spool of 20/2
                                  >wetspun halfbleach linen from Webs (http://www.yarn.com - see
                                  >http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/1-0-1008/0/8/ for their wetspun linens) and
                                  >have barely made a dent in it despite handsewing a number of garments
                                  >with it. Next time I'll probably get the 40/2 - the 20/2 is too heavy
                                  >for finer things like veils (right now I use a cotton thread for
                                  >those). My only caution is to be sure to wax it (I use beeswax) and
                                  >use short pieces, because it likes to tie itself in knots. :^)

                                  I'd actually suggest going to 60/2. For everything but the heaviest
                                  wools, that's a good medium. If you buy bulk, that might be worth
                                  while - you can sew linens and wools with it.

                                  /maggie
                                • asackville@juno.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 4, 2007
                                    Another good place to find linen thread is from www.lacemakerusa.com.
                                    I've been buying from Tracy for a number of years and she has several
                                    different brabds of linen. I use the Bockens linen for my lacemaking.
                                    Her prices are reasonable and she ships very quickly.

                                    Fionnuala
                                  • Cynthia J Ley
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                                      If you live in the Portland (OR) metro area, B Sharp Fabrics in north
                                      Portland carries a nice selection of linen thread in different colors
                                      (totally yummy), and Pastiche is a good place to hunt too. Prices are
                                      very reasonable.

                                      Arlys
                                    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                                        <<While we are on the topic of thread, I am starting my first compleatly
                                        handsewn project soon. My mom bought me some 100% linen fabric and
                                        some wool fabric. I am planning on making a cotehardie out of the
                                        wool, lined in the linen. What are the best threads to use on each of
                                        those? And where are some good places to get it? Thanks!>>

                                        My personal choice is to use linen thread on linen fabric and silk thread on
                                        wool. I find both at either specialty embroidery shops or from merchants at
                                        SCA events. My preferred brands are Londonderry Linen for the linen and
                                        Splendor, I think, for the silk. We've had good luck with those over many
                                        years.

                                        Brangwayna Morgan

                                      • Lilinah
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                                          And Needle in a Haystack, mentioned in the Black Silk for Blackwork
                                          thread, also has spools of linen thread in colors, if one decides to
                                          go for that. I've bought various shades of blues that simulate indigo
                                          for my blue linen garb.
                                          http://www.needlestack.com

                                          Additionally, I got white and "natural" linen at Lacis. At the moment
                                          i can't recall the size, but it's as fine as sewing thread.