Quilting

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hey All :)
      Do any of you smart cookies know much about quilting in period? I've
      never tried quilting before, but I'm feeling inspired to have a go. My
      brother finally presented me with the feast gear he promised me 6
      months ago. I'm thinking my old guide (girl scout) dilly bag (aka mess
      kit) with the loud floral motif isn't really up for the job. So I
      thought a quilted dilly bag would give a bit of extra protection and I
      might even make seperate little bags for each item, so they don't
      scratch each other. A good excuse to practise some skills anyway. Dilly
      bags may not be "period," but I'm sure the avoidance of breaking
      crockery was. Does anyone know of any easily accessed patterns that
      sort of fit the foody theme?
      Rosie
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
        On 12/30/06, Rosie <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

        > Do any of you smart cookies know much about quilting in period?

        Hi Rosie,

        If you go to the group's main page at yahoogroups here:

        and type the word quilting in the search box, it comes up with over 200
        hits for the group. I'd go through that for a bit and then ask questions
        (on list so we all can learn) of the people posting the information that
        seems most interesting / useful to you. Sarah Davies is onthis list and she
        is a laurel for quilting... you could also just plug her name into the
        search box.

        Also, search the groups files and links sections, there may be info there
        also.

        Smiles,
        Despina

      • kittencat3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
          Hm. Quilting is most definitely period - and a quilted bag would be fun.
          The only period example that's close I can think of is "two quiltes of canvas to
          cover cartes" in Henry VIII's death inventory, but you could do something in
          linen with motifs a la the Guicciardini wedding quilts of the 1390s. Here's a
          link to the Victoria & Albert Museum web site - just enter "tristan quilt" in
          the search engine and there you go: http://www.vam.ac.uk/index.html.

          Another good choice would be patchwork, either simple or complex. Here's a
          13th century example in a painting by Cimabue:
          http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pinfo?Object=41402+0+none and a late 15th century pillow:
          http://www.chiantimusei.it/cgi-bin/en/pub_det_lun.cgi?id=35.

          Hope this helps - if you need more information please don't hesitate to ask.
          Happy New Year!

          Sarah Davies, OL
          Quilt historian