which Edition of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales?

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 24, 2006
      Gentles of the List,
      on this Christmas Eve, BBC Radio 3 broadcast some readings of some of the Canterbury Tales - which I was lucky-enough to chance-upon; and which mads me realise I haven't owned a copy since studying it at School, more years ago than this humble Soldier cares to contemplate.
      I am minded to obtain another copy - but what Edition, I ask myself. Over the last several decades, there are sure to have been several new Editions by various Commentators, Scholars, and Publishers. A quick booksearch via amazon.com produced over a bewildering 2000 hits.
      My intent in obtaining another copy is to learn some of the tales for performance in Bardic Circles, and the like.
      I would welcome suggestions based upon Listers own contact with various Editions.
      And, no, I can't afford US$508 for a facsimile of the Ellesmere Chaucer [though I wish I could] - but referrals to less-costly facsimiles would be welcome, as will be referrals to versions in plain-text Middle English, and plain-text Early-Modern-English.

      Season's Greetings to you All.

      Matthew Baker,
      isolated in "old" Jersey.

    • GEOFF SCHEMELL
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 1, 2007
        Happy New Year Everyone!

        I just thought I'd give a quick update on the audio
        books I found on Amazon yesterday.

        I bought the "The General Prologue & The Physician's
        Tale: In Middle English & In Modern Verse Translation
        [AUDIOBOOK] [UNABRIDGED] (Audio CD)". You can get
        there through this tinyurl:

        http://tinyurl.com/yy328l

        Anyway, on the page is a link to download immediately,
        which takes you to a company called audible.com. Being
        the impatient sort, I bought from Audible so I could
        download immediately. Here's a quick excerpt from the
        description that I thought may be of interest to the
        list:

        "How do we know what Chaucer's English sounded like?
        The simplest way for the present reader to learn what
        Chaucer's pronunciation sounded like is to listen to
        Richard Bebb's superb reading of the current recording
        of The General Prologue of The Canterbury Tales. The
        knowledge it represents has been built up by the work
        of many scholars over centuries, which is now
        available in many competent studies and editions of
        Chaucer's poems."

        So this isn't just a reading of Chaucer but an attempt
        to read Chaucer in Middle English (which was my big
        concern). The download is also $9.94 and now resides
        on my iPod where I can now study Middle English
        anywhere I go.

        -- Geoffrey Fulredy