Keeping up with the Jones'

  • Beth Lokey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2006
      Ketta wrote

      If you're constantly guided by what your peers accomplish and feel
      you have to at least keep up, and at most do better, then the answer
      is simple (even though the solution isn't). I find that there is a
      LOT of this going on, whether it's spoken of or not. While not as
      rampant as say, neighborly one-uppances, but still common enough to
      know that more than a few have lost sight of their true goals.

      Loki and I always joked about keeping up with the Jones'. By that we
      meant that we would never be able to keep up with the accomplishments of
      Richard Jones, a.k.a. Sir Richard of Wolfwood OL, OP, yadda, yadda,
      a.k.a. the Saxon MacGyver, a.k.a. "Dr. Jones."

      I was also apprenticed to Sir Kragon of Land's End (insert string of
      titles here, too.) who has made some jaw-dropping pieces. I had to roll
      my eyes when I saw a picture of his encampment in the Panther Pavilions
      catalog.

      I still don't think I am worthy of my Laurel but that might partly be
      due to having these gentlemen as role models. Inspiration is not the
      same as one-uppance but I suppose it could be seen that way from the
      outside.

      Keep up with the Jones' ? Nah, I'm still not worthy of polishing their
      boots on a Tuesday.

      Mina