Scribal equipment - Who wants a pounce pot?

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2006
      Matthew Baker, SCA International Member, Island of Jersey,
      unto
      all who practise the Scribal Arts in the SCA,
      Greetings.

      My Lady is rediscovering calligraphy - my House re-enacts the late 15th Century period as it related to the Island of Jersey. I helped her assemble her scribal tools, - even made her a scribe's "writing slope" - but the one accessory I couldn't find her was a "pounce pot".
      I have persuaded Steve Millingham of Pewter Replicas to make a representative medieval pounce pot for general sale. He is eager to begin design & development work, but he and I have only been able to find one near-contemporary* [to our late 15th C, that is] image in a Holbein portrait.
      He has e-mailed me this evening to solicit help from all of you in finding more medieval images which show pounce pots, because he wants to base his final design on more pictorial sources than just that one Holbein image.

      Could I solicit from any scribe who knows of other contemporary [i.e. medieval imges up to approx 1600AD] images of clerks and scribes at work, showing their work tables with accessories, including a pounce pot, download their references to me at < smnco37@... >, so that I can pass them along to Steve?
      Likewise, could I respectfully request the same Favour from any Scribe who has pictures of extant medieval pounce pots in museum collections?
      I'll pass what you send me along to Steve, - who says he is eager to begin work - and [if God is good] by next Season, Steve will have his master pattern-piece scuplted, his moulds made, - and be in a position to be the first Master Crafter [that I know of] to be able to offer a replica medieval pounce pot to our re-enactment community.
      And I've advance ordered the first production example for my Lady, so if any of you would like one, then let me know, and I'll ask Steve to add you to his advance-order List.

      In Service to The Light, and our Dream,

      Matthew,
      in "old" Jersey.