Re: [Authentic_SCA] Headrail terminology - somewhat OT rambling

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006
      -=-I see a lot of this in the SCA though - for
      instance, shift, chemise, shirt, sark, nightrail etc. all basically
      mean the same thing, but many people attribute different specific
      meanings to the specific words.-=-

      It's not an SCA thing, I think it's a human and language and English
      thing.

      English has "shirt" and "skirt" both simply and clearly from the same
      original word, but we sure don't interchange them! (Though I did
      make a cool flowy-sleeved hippy-shirt for my younger-teen sister once
      out of of the the very-gathered 1950's skirts.)

      Sandra