Re: Ice and salt - even more OT reply

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...>
      wrote:
      > If the amount of salt used to remove ice in the winter was
      seriously dangerous to plant life, no grass would grow next to
      sidewalks in New England.

      > Alcyoneus

      Clearly, your youth was not as misspent as mine. Have you never
      heard of the horrible prank of salting a yard? This is very
      effective on the Gulf Coast where I grew up. You write (generally)
      rude words on the grass in a thick layer of salt. It takes a while &
      doesn't always come through clearly, but the salt leeches through
      the sod with the rain, kills new growth and then there are rude
      words spelt out in dead grass. I never did it, but saw the
      aftereffects, apparently it was particularly pleasing on ex-
      boyfriends yards....

      Toujours a vos ordres,
      Margaret Hepburn, who, having grown up in Houston, has little to add
      about ice & snow removal (grin)