Re: tudor gown - another question

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
      > overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not
      certain.
      > Thanks,
      > Cate

      I think the vast weight of evidence points to yes, a lot of
      costumers use a waistband but I have not yet found any significant
      evidence to suggest that gowns were made in two separate pieces`this
      article has a pretty good set of evidence against waistbands
      http://www.sempstress.org/techniques/waistbands.shtml
      The one issue I see with waistbands that isn't covered in that
      article is the problem of the bodice point. When people wear a
      pointed bodice with a split front skirt there is a mismatch between
      the point of the bodice and the point where the two sides of the
      skirt meet. In period portraits the two sides of the split skirt
      meet at the bottom of the bodice point but if you wear a skirt on a
      separate waistband the two edges of the split meet a couple of
      inches above the point so by the time it's level with the bottom of
      the bodice the gap is already a few inches wide. so instead of
      seeing this:
      \/
      /\
      which you see in period portraits, you see this:
      \/
      / \
      does that make sense?
      Elizabeth