Re: [Authentic_SCA] tudor gown - another question

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      At 4:54 PM +0000 12/5/06, Cate wrote:
      >Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
      >overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not certain.

      I think the best answer is "sometimes." If I remember correctly, the
      evidence seems to say that some bodice-skirt combinations were tied
      together with laces (like shoelaces, sort of) while others were
      actually sewn together. I would not be surprised to hear of
      attachment by hooks and eyes, either.

      For practical purposes, since the bodice should overlap and hide the
      skirt waistband anyway, attaching the bodice to the waistband has
      some real advantages. It prevents "dreaded gap-osis" where the
      underlayers show between bodice and skirt when you stretch or raise
      your arms. (They shouldn't show, except at neckline and cuffs --
      shirts were UNDERWEAR <g>). This is a major plus if you don't want to
      be worrying about your clothes while wearing them.

      On the other hand, it's much easier to make each piece separately --
      bodice in one piece, skirt with waistband, and sleeve pieces. It's
      also easier to clean the whole thing if you can take it apart (and
      believe me, I've done it), especially for women's clothes, since the
      skirts have LOTS of yardage in them. My own gowns have usually had
      the pieces made separately, then hand-sewed together with big
      stitches and heavy thread -- it's easy then to take out the stitching
      for washing, and re-do it later.

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
        > overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not certain.
        > Thanks,
        > Cate

        There's some discussion of the pros and cons of attached vs.
        unattached tops and bottoms on historical clothing at the
        Reconstructing History list going on currently. You can join it here:

        Cheers,
        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West Kingdom
      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          wrote:

          > Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
          > overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not
          certain.
          > Thanks,
          > Cate

          I think the vast weight of evidence points to yes, a lot of
          costumers use a waistband but I have not yet found any significant
          evidence to suggest that gowns were made in two separate pieces`this
          article has a pretty good set of evidence against waistbands
          http://www.sempstress.org/techniques/waistbands.shtml
          The one issue I see with waistbands that isn't covered in that
          article is the problem of the bodice point. When people wear a
          pointed bodice with a split front skirt there is a mismatch between
          the point of the bodice and the point where the two sides of the
          skirt meet. In period portraits the two sides of the split skirt
          meet at the bottom of the bodice point but if you wear a skirt on a
          separate waistband the two edges of the split meet a couple of
          inches above the point so by the time it's level with the bottom of
          the bodice the gap is already a few inches wide. so instead of
          seeing this:
          \/
          /\
          which you see in period portraits, you see this:
          \/
          / \
          does that make sense?
          Elizabeth