List Ettiquette Example #2

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      MODERATOR NOTE APPEARS IN ALL CAPS IN BODY OF MESSAGE.
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:
      > PS To moderator - I'm sorry, but I don't know what top posting means.
      > Can you explain it to me? Thanks.

      THIS IS BOTTOM POSTING. IF YOU WILL COMPARE IT TO THE MESSAGE TITLED
      "LIST ETTIQUETTE EXAMPLE #1" YOU CAN SEE THAT I AM ANSWERING AT THE
      END OF CATE'S ORIGINAL MESSAGE. YOU CAN ALSO SEE THAT I SNIPPED OUT
      THE PORTION OF HER MESSAGE THAT DID NOT APPLY TO THE QUESTION.

      THIS IS A VERY ACTIVE LIST WITH MORE THAN 1000 MEMBERS. PLEASE BE
      COURTEOUS AND EDIT YOUR POSTS SO THAT EXTRANEOUS INFORMATION ISN'T
      REPEATED UNNECESSARILY.

      THANK YOU.
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        At 4:54 PM +0000 12/5/06, Cate wrote:
        >Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
        >overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not certain.

        I think the best answer is "sometimes." If I remember correctly, the
        evidence seems to say that some bodice-skirt combinations were tied
        together with laces (like shoelaces, sort of) while others were
        actually sewn together. I would not be surprised to hear of
        attachment by hooks and eyes, either.

        For practical purposes, since the bodice should overlap and hide the
        skirt waistband anyway, attaching the bodice to the waistband has
        some real advantages. It prevents "dreaded gap-osis" where the
        underlayers show between bodice and skirt when you stretch or raise
        your arms. (They shouldn't show, except at neckline and cuffs --
        shirts were UNDERWEAR <g>). This is a major plus if you don't want to
        be worrying about your clothes while wearing them.

        On the other hand, it's much easier to make each piece separately --
        bodice in one piece, skirt with waistband, and sleeve pieces. It's
        also easier to clean the whole thing if you can take it apart (and
        believe me, I've done it), especially for women's clothes, since the
        skirts have LOTS of yardage in them. My own gowns have usually had
        the pieces made separately, then hand-sewed together with big
        stitches and heavy thread -- it's easy then to take out the stitching
        for washing, and re-do it later.

        O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
          > overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not certain.
          > Thanks,
          > Cate

          There's some discussion of the pros and cons of attached vs.
          unattached tops and bottoms on historical clothing at the
          Reconstructing History list going on currently. You can join it here:

          Cheers,
          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
            > overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not
            certain.
            > Thanks,
            > Cate

            I think the vast weight of evidence points to yes, a lot of
            costumers use a waistband but I have not yet found any significant
            evidence to suggest that gowns were made in two separate pieces`this
            article has a pretty good set of evidence against waistbands
            http://www.sempstress.org/techniques/waistbands.shtml
            The one issue I see with waistbands that isn't covered in that
            article is the problem of the bodice point. When people wear a
            pointed bodice with a split front skirt there is a mismatch between
            the point of the bodice and the point where the two sides of the
            skirt meet. In period portraits the two sides of the split skirt
            meet at the bottom of the bodice point but if you wear a skirt on a
            separate waistband the two edges of the split meet a couple of
            inches above the point so by the time it's level with the bottom of
            the bodice the gap is already a few inches wide. so instead of
            seeing this:
            \/
            /\
            which you see in period portraits, you see this:
            \/
            / \
            does that make sense?
            Elizabeth