Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re:16th century shoes

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 4, 2006
      MODERATOR NOTE - PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS AS A COURTESY TO OUR OTHER MEMBERS. THANK YOU.

      At 1:57 PM -0600 on 11/30/06, Margaret Northwode wrote:

      >Boots by Bohemond has a decent deal on Mary Rose type shoes, IIRC somewhere
      >around $65 for women's whole sizes in black. His other prices are fairly
      >steep, but this one's decent. Rumor mill has it that they're not
      >astoundingly comfy

      I have a pair of the men's version of his Mary Rose shoes for fencing
      in and they're quite comfortable. You have to break them in, though.
      They come having never had a foot-form or last in them and must be
      stretched to shoe shape. I used standard shoe trees and wearing them
      a few hours every day to do it. I also use modern insoles, as
      otherwise you're walking on bare shoe-sole.

      Also note that they are not constructed in a period manner. They look
      good enough from several feet, but they are entirely constructed
      using modern techniques and equipment (He uses a modern industrial
      shoemakers sewing machine). This may or may not matter to you, just
      letting you know.
      --

      Auf wiedersehen!

      "..No."