Early Tudor Sleeves

  • Kelley
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi -
      I'm thinking about making an early Tudor gown and was wondering if
      anyone had some information about the sleeves. The pictures that I've
      looked at seem to have the "round bulky part" at about the elbow with
      an undersleeve showing over the chemise/camica sort of thing. I'm
      curious how those pieces are attached (to each other?). Any thoughts
      would be appreciated.

      This site has a number of pictures on it:
      http://www.geocities.com/lorddonal/Garb.htm

      Thanks,
      Cate
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
        Kelley wrote:

        >I'm thinking about making an early Tudor gown

        <snip>

        >This site has a number of pictures on it:
        >http://www.geocities.com/lorddonal/Garb.htm

        Could you give specific urls, please?

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Habeo metrum - musicamque,
        hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
        -Georgeus Gershwinus
        -----------------------------
      • jubileel_insaneone
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          MODERATOR NOTE, PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST - THANK YOU.
          The gown sleeve is part regular old sleeve, like you and I wear today,
          and the bottom part can be constructed in one of two ways; as either
          to half of a triangle or as a double faced rectangle. These two
          pieces are sewn together. What you normally see in tudor portraits is
          the sleeve flipped back to show the lining.

          Under the sleeve is the false sleeve which can be as simple as a
          triangle-like shape with a "brace" at the top or as complicates as a
          half circle-like shape with slashes. (the brace is nothing more than
          a rectangle that is as big as your arm about your elbow so you can tie
          the sleeve in place)

          Is there a specific painting you are looking at?

          -Isabella

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
            Sorry, that was the wrong site! Thanks for pointing it out. This
            one should be a bit more specific:
            http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/index.html
            Thanks!
            Cate
          • Kelley
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
              Isabella, et. al., -

              It seems like there are 2 styles - which I think you've described - the
              triangular lower sleeve vs. the rectangular "roll". I think I like
              the "roll" style better (and it seems like it would be an easier fit).
              But, are you suggesting that the undersleeve would tie onto the upper
              part (underneath at the elbow, I assume)? I like the half-shell shape
              and would tie it the way down to the wrist.
              Thanks (hope all that makes sense),
              Cate
            • jubileel_insaneone
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

                > Isabella, et. al., -
                >
                > It seems like there are 2 styles - which I think you've described - the
                > triangular lower sleeve vs. the rectangular "roll". I think I like
                > the "roll" style better (and it seems like it would be an easier fit).
                > But, are you suggesting that the undersleeve would tie onto the upper
                > part (underneath at the elbow, I assume)? I like the half-shell shape
                > and would tie it the way down to the wrist.
                > Thanks (hope all that makes sense),
                > Cate

                Nope, the false sleeve is completely seperate. It's just tied to your
                arm.
                A picture of one of the ones I made is at:
                http://isabelladangelo.livejournal.com/2005/07/31/
                http://isabelladangelo.livejournal.com/5352.html#cutid1

                -Isabella
              • Kelley
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
                  MODERATOR EDIT OF TOP POSTING.
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "jubileel_insaneone"
                  <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

                  > Nope, the false sleeve is completely seperate. It's just tied to your
                  > arm.
                  > A picture of one of the ones I made is at:
                  > http://isabelladangelo.livejournal.com/2005/07/31/
                  > http://isabelladangelo.livejournal.com/5352.html#cutid1

                  Isabella -
                  Thanks for sending the pictures!