question re canes

  • melrosemiss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006
      Were there canes back in the 15th and 16th centuries? I really want to stay
      as period correct as possible but am disabled due to severe fibromyalgia and
      degenerative spinal arthritis. Would it be acceptable for someone from
      these eras to use some sort of walking stick or assistive device? Thank you.

      Grainne
      Kingdom of the East
      Shire or Endewearde

    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
        I guess you can't afford a litter and to pay servants to carry you
        around? That'd impress the braies off everyone! ;)
        No-one is going to knock you for using whatever device you need to get
        around. Falling over is not fun.
        Rosie

        > Were there canes back in the 15th and 16th centuries? I really
        want to stay
        > as period correct as possible but am disabled due to severe
        fibromyalgia and
        > degenerative spinal arthritis. Would it be acceptable for someone
        from
        > these eras to use some sort of walking stick or assistive device?
        Thank you.
      • Jeff Gedney
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
          > No-one is going to knock you for using whatever device you
          > need to get around.

          For em, I wont knock you for using a cane anyway...

          Canes are period. You see em in lots of illustrations regarding age.
          You see them in Breugel's illustrations a lot.
          The are Prehistoric. References to them are in the old testament, IIRC.
          A Quick Check shows Zechariah chapter 8, Verse 4
          "Moreover, the Lord who rules over all says, 'Old men and women will
          once more live in the plazas of Jerusalem, each one leaning on a
          cane because of advanced age"
          Note Bene:
          Zechariah is generally thought to have been written about 4th-5th
          century BC and may have been earlier. Zechariah was thought to have
          started his ministry in about 520 BC during the Hebrew's Babylonian
          Exile under the Persian King Darius.

          Also Remember the Sphinx's riddle?
          That is "Classical Hellenic" period, and it references the use of a cane.
          ("what walks on four legs in the morning, two legs and the afternoon
          and three legs in the evening?")
          The answer: man (Crawls as a baby, Strides about on two legs in his
          strength, and uses a cane in his old age)

          Don't worry about it.
          Canes are period. Use one if you need one.

          Capt Elias
        • jubileel_insaneone
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
            MODERATOR NOTE, PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST - PLEASE EDIT YOUR POSTS SO OUR MEMBERS DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE SAME MESSAGE MORE THAN ONCE. THANK YOU.

            A 15th c painting showing canes:

            http://www.freewebs.com/isabelladangelo/sassetta_st_anthony_1440_dog.jpg

            The only reason I remember that painting is because of the cavalir
            king charles puppy dog in it. :-)

            -Isabella

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney@...> wrote:
            > Canes are period. Use one if you need one.
            >
            > Capt Elias

          • Sandra Dodd
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
              Staff, or walking stick, are native English terms. Staffs could be
              used for walking or for knocking guys into streams, if art and
              literature are to be trusted.

              The word "cane" came into English later (and more on "cane" in a bit).

              The terms "bent cane" is used, so that implies they weren't all
              necessarily crooked.

              A crook, a bent cane/stick, is another thing to consider. Some were
              for hooking lambs or music hall performers. But some were walking
              crooks--like a crutch. Archbishops use them still, right? Or
              Bishops? (Somebody does...)

              There's thought to have been a legal concept involving "hook or
              crook." Estates had rights that went with them, as to tolls or
              income or hunting or wood gathering. Sometimes people could not cut
              firewood, but they could have what wood they could get "by hook or
              crook," meaning if they could reach into the tree with a tool and and
              pull some deadwood down, okay.

              I looked up "crutch." It's a really old word: "Common Teutonic,"
              says the Oxford English Dictionary.

              I can't transcribe from that book anymore. There was a time when my
              eyes were good enough, but I can't hold the magnifying glass and
              type. But the early definitions talk about walking staffs. So in
              the 10th century the word didn't necessarily mean a stick with a
              horizontal piece on it. There are two origin words they think
              might have come to bear on the English word. One survives in our
              "crouch"--to need to stoop some. The other is "crutch/crotch"--a
              place where a tree forks. Long, long before people had crotches,
              trees had lots of crotches, and people who were building barns and
              houses knew which were good for what. Long before people made lumber
              out of trees and then made things from lumber, people looked at the
              details of trees to find things already "made," already grown. There
              were parts of trees that were used for post and beam construction,
              and for hooks on walls (an upright beam might be chosen because it
              had a branch coming out that could be used as roof support or a hook).

              Having read through what the OED says for "cane," I wouldn't use it
              for SCA purposes. The plant "cane" but because of sugar cane. The
              first example of use under the definition of a walking stick is
              discussion of people using them to swat other people. That's
              probably still the first meaning in England (not in the U.S., where
              people might've been whipped or spanked or paddled, but they weren't
              so much "caned"). It's past the period about which you inquried
              that the term "cane" meant a little bent walking stick, but you can
              use a little bent walking stick and call it a walking stick or a crook.

              AElflaed