The Confessional

  • Sarah Wright
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 24, 2006
      Forgive me, Janet Arnold, for I have sinned.

      I used that iron-on tape stuff to affix the braid and guards to the seams of
      the doublet I was making, and then ended up hand-sewing the entire thing.
      Except the guards. Which I will end up stitching down, but right now I feel
      all naughty.

      Anyone have any little authenticity sins to confess?

      --Sarra

      --
      www.theindigoelf.com: Elizabethan Geekery to the Nth Degree

    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 30, 2006
        Heather Rose Jones wrote:
        >> Yes, and? I'm not claiming to have a strong case for drawers, here--
        >> just sweaty thighs and a preference for something a little better than
        >> mundane pants.
        >>

        > I'm sorry -- I though the site was being offered in evidence of the
        > historicity of medieval women wearing underpants, that's why I
        > offered further interpretation about it. I guess I got confused
        > because if people simply want to wear underpants with their medieval
        > outfits for personal reasons, there's no reason to try to dig up
        > historic evidence for it.

        Well, I'd like to justify it historically if I could, but all I've found
        is the odd little hint-- not enough to make a case for anything, just
        enough to make me keep an eye open for anything more solid. In the mean
        time, though, I do have purely practical reasons for wanting drawers,
        and white linen ones are at least a bit less glaringly mundane than
        modern ones.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        Habeo metrum - musicamque,