Re: [Authentic_SCA] 13th Century Mogolian Bow Quivers

  • NINacide@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
      I believe the art of making those composite bows was such a secret art,
      passed down by the masters, etc, that the factual knowledge may have died. There
      are some clever people out there who have educated guesses, but there aren't
      instructions from the 13th century on how to do it.

      One man figured out a lot about the bow. He says that the wood is mostly to
      hold the sinew and horn in place. The sinew is on the side facing the away
      from the shooter and has a stretchiness to it. On the other side, facing the
      shooter is horn, which resists compression. You got to hammer the sinew
      until it's flat and stringy, and you can tell how well a bow will turn out by
      the quality of the job you do on preparing the sinew. That's pretty much All I
      remember from the documentary.

      Mikhail (know's people are going to blast me out of the water for this)