13th Century Mogolian Bow Quivers

  • Kimberly Winrotte
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hello everybody,

      I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find
      info/documentation on the construction of a 13th
      century Mongolian bow quiver/case? I am helping my
      sister apprentice with her research and we have found
      minitures and such but nothing that describes the
      construction. If anyone has any information or
      pictures of extant pieces from that period that you
      would be willing to share with us that would be great.

      Thank you,

      Yamina al-Zahra'

      (http://voice.yahoo.com)
    • NINacide@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
        I believe the art of making those composite bows was such a secret art,
        passed down by the masters, etc, that the factual knowledge may have died. There
        are some clever people out there who have educated guesses, but there aren't
        instructions from the 13th century on how to do it.

        One man figured out a lot about the bow. He says that the wood is mostly to
        hold the sinew and horn in place. The sinew is on the side facing the away
        from the shooter and has a stretchiness to it. On the other side, facing the
        shooter is horn, which resists compression. You got to hammer the sinew
        until it's flat and stringy, and you can tell how well a bow will turn out by
        the quality of the job you do on preparing the sinew. That's pretty much All I
        remember from the documentary.

        Mikhail (know's people are going to blast me out of the water for this)