Re: Emergency (on my part) foodways request

  • Luiseach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
      Salt your veggies first to draw out some of the water, let them sit maybe
      half an hour, wipe/rinse and dry them then add the vinegar.

      Luighseach

    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
        Thank you, Luighseach. My wife, who was raised on a farm, also gave
        me the same advice. The program went very well. I often had 4 or 5
        kids at a time threading beanpods, peeling onions, and scooping the
        pulp out of the squash. We constantly had the chickens underfoot,
        going after all the dropped bits and pieces. We now have a few
        strings of beans drying by the chimney in the wattle & daub Planters
        house, a tub of sand laced with turnips & beets in a back corner of
        the tobacco barn, and 2 trays of drying squash cubes that we can reuse
        in a Native American program next Saturday. We had our basket of
        games out by the door of the house. There were a couple of times that
        we had a group of kids working and another playing. When that
        happened, we had fun telling the fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant.

        Thanks again for the help with the short notice request. Folks here
        seem to always come through.

        Take care,
        Pete Mckee