RE: [Authentic_SCA] Experiment

  • Wanda Pease
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      > I'm going to an event tomorrow and I thought I'd try an experiment by
      > not wearing my glasses nor contacts to the event. I'll obviously drive
      > there with my glasses on, but once I'm in garb, remove them just to
      > see what it would be like to have to deal with the inconvienience of
      > not being able to see clearly much at all. I don't intend to sit still
      > in my place all day. Not at all. I have three classes I want to take
      > plus a possible stint doing Royalty duty. The whole discussion several
      > weeks back on eyewear made me curious and I'm willing to give it a try
      > just to see (ha!) what it would be like if I there wasn't the option
      > of contacts for me, not that I see all that stellarly in my
      > contacts.... Wish me luck

      LUCK!!!

      That's going to be an interesting experiment. I'll be interested in how you
      fared several hours into being without glasses. I had a complete mental
      breakdown on Tuesday because I though I had to be at work by 8am for an
      online/teleconference class. Of course everything that possibly could go
      wrong the moment my feet hit the carpet. I got in at 4 minutes to 8 and
      suddenly realized that I was rubbing my eyes and not having to reach around
      glasses! Horrors! I had forgotten to get my glasses off the night stand.

      I've worn glasses since I was 7 years old and almost never forgotten them
      before. I've been told every time I've asked that I'm not a good candidate
      for surgery (Hope springs eternal) because my problem is likely to come back
      shortly. Sigh!

      Desperately I dialed in and found out that the Expletive Deleted conference
      call was 8pm Eastern Standard Time - I'm there at 8am Pacific Standard time.
      Grrr... Next thing I find myself on the phone and the day simply progresses
      with me with no glasses and no time to go home and retrieve them. By the
      end of the day I was doing fairly well identifying individual words on my
      screen without enlarging them.

      My brother, the cheapskate, spent years avoiding glasses and telling
      everyone that he could see perfectly well because he did eye exercises every
      morning and evening which strengthened his eye muscles. I don't know if it
      actually really worked, but at 65 he only recently had to get prescription
      ones because the magnifiers they sell for a couple of bucks at the pharmacy
      weren't working for him any more.

      I wonder if the medieval person wouldn't invent all kinds of work arounds
      for being without glasses. They wouldn't miss them because they had never
      had clearer vision, or the blurring came on slowly. At 80 my father had
      cataracts removed. He said it was incredible how clear everything was. He
      just hadn't noticed a difference because the problem had gotten worse so
      slowly.

      Certainly I'm not going to make the experiment of spending several days
      without my glasses (everyone who uses the roads in Oregon should now give
      thanks.) Nor do I expect anyone else to do so. Mistress Arlys' wonderful
      embroidery is worth the price of a bit of "face jewelry". So are the many
      people who recognize the difference between a tree and one of their friends,
      a la Mr. Magoo!

      As I say, it will be an interesting experiment and I'll be interested in
      hearing the results just for information purposes.

      Regina

    • Carmen Beaudry
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hi all,

        > I'm going to an event tomorrow and I thought I'd try an experiment by
        > not wearing my glasses nor contacts to the event. I'll obviously drive
        > there with my glasses on, but once I'm in garb, remove them just to
        > see what it would be like to have to deal with the inconvienience of
        > not being able to see clearly much at all. I don't intend to sit still
        > in my place all day. Not at all. I have three classes I want to take
        > plus a possible stint doing Royalty duty. The whole discussion several
        > weeks back on eyewear made me curious and I'm willing to give it a try
        > just to see (ha!) what it would be like if I there wasn't the option
        > of contacts for me, not that I see all that stellarly in my
        > contacts.... Wish me luck
        >
        > Fionnuala

        Very cool, let us know how it goes.

        Melusine
      • Andrea Pfeifer
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hello to the list,

          I do this whenever I am in an exposed position or wearing fancy
          headgear (usually at feast, when I don't have to see much further
          beyond what's going on at my table), don't have to do needlework and
          the event isn't too crowded. At the first event I tried this I
          actually didn't realise that a bunch of my aquaintances are there
          until the end of the event because I can only see the people close
          around me properly. By now they have learned that I am not being rude
          when I don't say hello but simply cannot see them so they have to
          come closer and say hello themselves.
          The biggest problem for me is not being able to do work, i.e. kitchen
          work, needle work, other A&S related things without my glasses. So I
          will wear them whenever I work, but when I am just there to look
          pretty (TM) I will not wear them.

          But that is one experience that is going to be different for each
          person, very much depending on how bad your eyes are and what you do
          in the Society.

          Also curious how it went for you...
          Carolin
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 4, 2006
            > Certainly I'm not going to make the experiment of spending several
            > days
            > without my glasses (everyone who uses the roads in Oregon should now
            > give
            > thanks.) Nor do I expect anyone else to do so. Mistress Arlys'
            > wonderful
            > embroidery is worth the price of a bit of "face jewelry". So are
            > the many
            > people who recognize the difference between a tree and one of their
            > friends,
            > a la Mr. Magoo!

            Thank you, Sweet Cousin. :-) I don't wear glasses most of the time but
            have to have them to be able to embroider--otherwise I can't distinguish
            between the needle and the thread. ;)

            Arlys
          • Sandra Dodd
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 4, 2006
              Certainly I'm not going to make the experiment of spending several
              > days
              > without my glasses (everyone who uses the roads in Oregon should now
              > give
              > thanks.)

              Driving 70 mph isn't period, even when I'm in costume.

              I have to take my glasses OFF to drive (for which pedestrians and
              such should be grateful in New Mexico), but I do need them to write.

              As to embroidery and such, it's an interesting thing not to have
              servants who would do such things. It's so "non-period" too for a
              knight to brag about having made his own armor and garb and shoes and
              spoon. Wouldn't he have people do that for him? <g>

              Long, long ago a queen who was wont to be in personna to a fault...

              Wait. This was a queen of Atenveldt, when I was seneschal of
              Atenveldt. A queen whose deeds and words caused frequent clean-up,
              and whose desires were often costly in terms of the time spent by her
              officers, and yet I served her well and faithfully.

              At an event far from my home, in front of several people she knew
              better than I did, she fingered the sleeve of my plain overdress,
              after speaking of all the plowing and planting her servants had been
              doing, and said "and where is your fine Saxon embroidery, my lady?"

              There was just a brief moment of expectation in those around us
              before I said, "In the filing cabinet, Your Majesty."

              I had no more real-world servants than she did, but I would have had
              more time for embroidery had I not been one of her SCA servants.

              Glasses or no glasses, some things are mundanely done (by ourselves,
              serving as our servants between events) and some are in-personna done.

              AElflaed

            • Francesca Tiepolo
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 4, 2006
                Depending on the period of course, there were magnifying glasses to help with close up things for the wealthier.

                I have heard it said that if your vision isnt really bad, eye exercises can help.

                I would think people back then who had poor vision just learned to compensate & their eyes adjusted naturally without them straining all the time. Signs were not always 'written' as many could not read... merchants & Inns would have signs large enough to see from a distance. If you lived for years in a town you would be familiar with things so you would know where the tree stumps, pot holes, wells etc were.

                It will be interesting to see how you do!! Good luck!

                YIS
                Francesca Tiepolo
                (Thank goodness for modern eyewear)

              • Marioun
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 2006
                  > I do this whenever I am in an exposed position or wearing fancy
                  > headgear (usually at feast, when I don't have to see much further
                  > beyond what's going on at my table), don't have to do needlework and
                  > the event isn't too crowded.

                  I tried this, but my eyesight is so bad I couldnt see across the table
                  and didnt recognize my own son...So I invested in some contacts, which
                  even so dont compleatly correct my vision as well as glasses do, but
                  for the period of occasional weekend events, dont cause too much of a
                  problem, no headaches so far.

                  deb
                • Andrea Hughett
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 6, 2006
                    --- Francesca Tiepolo <moonlightfairy911@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I would think people back then who had poor vision
                    > just learned to compensate & their eyes adjusted
                    > naturally without them straining all the time. Signs
                    > were not always 'written' as many could not read...
                    > merchants & Inns would have signs large enough to
                    > see from a distance. If you lived for years in a
                    > town you would be familiar with things so you would
                    > know where the tree stumps, pot holes, wells etc
                    > were.

                    I suspect that as a young lady with my poor eyesight
                    in the 12th century, I probably would have been given
                    to a monastery as soon as it became evident. It would
                    most likely have worked out well, too. My near vision
                    is good enough for sewing and reading, my sisters
                    would be familiar enough that I would recognize them,
                    beyond a few feet away, by voice and general outline,
                    and furnishings would be sparse and seldom changed.

                    There is a modern trilogy (I think - it may have more
                    or less than three books) about Guenivere which
                    portrays her as nearsighted. In later life she
                    realizes that her aversion to wide open spaces may be
                    related to her poor vision. Anyone know the one I mean?

                    Andrea of Anglespur
                    kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                    So many books, so little time!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • asackville@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 6, 2006
                      Hi all!

                      The experiment went fabulously! Once I got used to the fuzziness of
                      everything around me I had no problems. No headaches other than the
                      one I woke up with, which going without my glasses actually helped
                      relieve. I took my Anglo-Saxon breads and cereals class, complete with
                      handouts, took my cheesemaking class, with handouts, was asked to
                      judge some lace that was gifted to Their Majesties, did a little of my
                      own needlework (and it was easier to do without my glasses...go
                      figure), stood guard duty outside the Royalty Room, and sang a mini-
                      concert. I bought a couple of good books from Folo and actually
                      managed to read some points in one of the books. I really didn't have
                      any problems at all and I've been dependant on my glasses since I was
                      seven. It was kinda freeing, actually. Just recently there had been a
                      blow-up in my local group and I had been on the receiving end of some
                      of the flack and fall-out and without being able to see faces clearly
                      I couldn't tell if someone was pulling faces at me. That was pretty
                      cool. This is an experiment that I will not mind repeating.

                      Fionnuala
                    • Terri Morgan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 7, 2006
                        > The experiment went fabulously!
                        <snip>
                        > Fionnuala

                        Cool! I do it for LH demos and have found that it's about the same for me -
                        there were some 'scary moments' when I had to walk a block to find a
                        bathroom and had no escort but at the same time, it was almost like I'd let
                        my eyes out of a cage for a day... kind of a weird feeling of freedom. After
                        30 years of wearing glasses as a programmed action, it was very odd and
                        rather fun to go without. Of course, where I do LH stuff, it's mostly nice,
                        grassy parks with clear differences between woodland and 'people space'. I
                        haven't tried it at someplace wild and woolly - and don't think I will.

                        But it was really neat, the way my innards relaxed, rather than tensed up,
                        as the day went on. And now I'm thinking I might try a later-period outfit
                        with a veil. I've avoided them all this time because I look like one of the
                        singing nuns from the 'Sound of Music' but without my glasses - maybe not.
                        It'd be worth it to find out. There's a whole bracket of time I don't
                        attempt because of that restriction of pride.

                        Hrothny
                        (trifocals w/2 prisms, at no less than -6.5, for those who'd like to compare
                        to their own prescription.)
                      • Sandra Dodd
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 7, 2006
                          -=-And now I'm thinking I might try a later-period outfit
                          with a veil. I've avoided them all this time because I look like one
                          of the
                          singing nuns from the 'Sound of Music' but without my glasses - maybe
                          not.
                          It'd be worth it to find out. There's a whole bracket of time I don't
                          attempt because of that restriction of pride.
                          -=-

                          Before I wore glasses, I wore wimples and veils most of the time.
                          The glasses just don't fit with that.
                          I have three magnifying glasses. Two can be hung on a belt. They're
                          good for reading, or looking at embroidery and such if someone wants
                          me to look at their work.

                          I have to be very trusting with food. <g> The first few years I wore
                          glasses I didn't wear them to eat. Now I do. I just want to know
                          pepper from dirt, y'know...

                          AElflaed

                        • Francesca Tiepolo
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Oh I hope someone can post the title or author of that book(s) ~ would enjoy reading it!!

                            I had to chuckle envisioning a whole monastary of nearsighted women ( I would have probably been there too!) wondering around 'bumping' into each other! <g>

                            YIS

                            Francesca Tiepolo

                            (sorry I can't trim the post - it doesn't show me any of it in my reply to email window)

                          • Sharon L. Krossa
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                              At 4:41 PM -0800 11/7/06, Francesca Tiepolo wrote:
                              > I had to chuckle envisioning a whole monastary of nearsighted
                              >women ( I would have probably been there too!) wondering around
                              >'bumping' into each other! <g>

                              Do keep in mind that in the Middle Ages, just like modernly, people
                              learn to adapt and adjust to their physical disabilities that can't
                              be "fixed". The relevant experience we should be considering, with
                              regard to the medieval near-sighted and visually impaired, is not
                              that of modern people whose sight _can_ be corrected by modern
                              technology, but that of modern people whose sight can _not_ be
                              corrected -- that is, those who are always visually impaired or even
                              blind (not just when they choose not to wear their glasses).

                              And their experience -- their ability to function, including
                              recognizing people (by means other than clear vision), not being
                              doomed to constantly wander around bumping into objects and people,
                              etc. -- strongly suggests that medieval people with similar visual
                              impairments would also be able to function. Some of the specific
                              adaptations may be different in our different ages (e.g., a seeing
                              eye servant/family member rather than a seeing eye dog for the blind,
                              a generic staff rather than a special white cane with a red tip,
                              etc.), and there would have been more things that really were simply
                              impossible (e.g., reading for oneself, as braille did not exist --
                              but of course, few could or needed to do that, anyway, in the Middle
                              Ages), but the basic ability to function, and even make a living,
                              would not have been all that different (or, if it was different, in
                              some cases it may have been easier then than now, giving the much
                              greater dependence on such things as reading, driving, etc., today
                              than historically, as well as the greater emphasis on independent
                              accomplishment, and scarcity of servants, today).

                              And while I'm intrigued by the idea that some visually impaired women
                              got sent off to nunneries, I'm curious is this conclusion is based on
                              some specific research by someone? That is, what known examples do we
                              have of visually impaired women in nunneries -- especially of women
                              being sent to nunneries specifically because they were visually
                              impaired?

                              I haven't myself done any specific research into what sorts of things
                              medieval blind and visually impaired people did, but just in general
                              I am aware that there are known to have been medieval (and early
                              modern, and ancient) musicians/poets/minstrels/entertainers who were
                              blind. An example that comes immediately to my mind is "Blind Harry",
                              who was the author of the famous 15th century epic poem about Sir
                              William Wallace. Also, in the late 17th/early 18th century, there was
                              O'Carolan, the famous blind Irish harper. Much earlier, of course,
                              was Homer (who was known in the Middle Ages, too).

                              Of course, these examples are of people who were identified as
                              actually blind -- I suspect that discovering what the merely
                              near-sighted did will be harder to determine, as I expect it would
                              cause less comment.

                              In any case, it might be interesting to collect together documented
                              examples of occupations, etc., of historical medieval blind/visually
                              impaired people...

                              Sharon
                              --
                              Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                              Need help with technology for your research or teaching? Hire me!
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                -=-And their experience -- their ability to function, including
                                recognizing people (by means other than clear vision), not being
                                doomed to constantly wander around bumping into objects and people,
                                etc. -- strongly suggests that medieval people with similar visual
                                impairments would also be able to function-=-

                                They weren't trying to read Newsweek.
                                (That was my first indication that I needed glasses, when I was 40--
                                couldn't read Newsweek or Time Magazine.)

                                If an older woman couldn't still weave or embroider, she should still
                                have been able to spin. Maybe not LEARN to spin, but if she'd been
                                doing it all her life, it wouldn't require sight to know whether the
                                thread was right.

                                AElflaed

                              • Alexis
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Francesca Tiepolo
                                  <moonlightfairy911@...> wrote:

                                  > Oh I hope someone can post the title or author of that book(s) ~
                                  would enjoy reading it!!

                                  > I had to chuckle envisioning a whole monastary of nearsighted
                                  women ( I would have probably been there too!) wondering
                                  around 'bumping' into each other! <g>

                                  > YIS
                                  >
                                  > Francesca Tiepolo

                                  Pls tell me you both would have been in a Convent!!! Not to say
                                  brailing the monks might not have been fun, but way too much time
                                  doing penances.

                                  You would not have to worry about recognizing people. Just answer
                                  yes Sister and you are off the hook.

                                  BTW blind people can weave if someone sets up the loom for them.

                                  Yis,
                                  Cassandra
                                • Terri Morgan
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                    > Pls tell me you both would have been in a Convent!!!
                                    <snip of fun comment>

                                    Trivia point: "Convents" are for people who take simple vows (they can
                                    leave*), of either sex, monasteries for folks of either sex who make
                                    perpetual vows (they can't leave unless the Pope releases them from their
                                    vows).

                                    Some Orders use the two 'house designations' interchangeably while others
                                    are quite strict about which is which... but secular folks tend to think
                                    that convents are for women and monasteries are for men, usually thanks to
                                    inexact writers of fiction.

                                    But the mental image of someone 'brailing' the monks gave me a much-needed
                                    giggle.

                                    Hrothny
                                    *without losing their ability to be in Communion with the Church/God.
                                  • Cynthia J Ley
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                      > In any case, it might be interesting to collect together documented
                                      > examples of occupations, etc., of historical medieval blind/visually
                                      >
                                      > impaired people...
                                      >
                                      > Sharon

                                      Francesco Landini, a famous composer during the 1300's is nearly always
                                      identified as being blind. He composed music, sang, and played the
                                      portative organ.

                                      Arlys
                                    • Robert Van Rens
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006

                                        >BTW blind people can weave if someone sets up the loom for them.
                                        >
                                        >Yis,
                                        >Cassandra

                                        Master John of Calador, OL (Northshield) is an accomplished weaver - and he
                                        is not only blind, he lacks hands as well.

                                        Eadric the Potter

                                        Microsoft Office Live
                                      • Tiffany Brown
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                          On 09/11/06, Sharon L. Krossa <skrossa-ml@...> wrote:
                                          > In any case, it might be interesting to collect together documented
                                          > examples of occupations, etc., of historical medieval blind/visually
                                          > impaired people...

                                          The British BBC TV show "worst jobs in History" claimed that the sort
                                          of giant man powered hamster wheels used to drive cranes/winches in
                                          construction of cathedrals were generally manned by blind people.
                                          That it suited better as a fully blind person wasn't subject to the
                                          same fear of heights when they couldn't see how far up they were
                                          constantly. And could put in a useful days work, needing only to be
                                          lead to work at the start of the day. This is hardly a citation, but
                                          a starting point for research.

                                          I can imagine a range of manual jobs being given to sightless people
                                          eg polishing or sanding objects, braiding, turning a handle, etc. If
                                          many were considered charity cases (feel free to object to this) then
                                          they might be cheap labour for repeditive jobs- working only for basic
                                          food and lodging with no extras.

                                          Teffania
                                        • NINacide@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 8, 2006
                                            I think sight helps a lot when sanding or polishing. Just my 2 cents, don't
                                            mean to contradict you.

                                            Mikhail

                                          • Chris Laning
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 11, 2006
                                              Actually, I think nearsighted people whose vision isn't corrected
                                              might have some advantage when it comes to extremely fine work.

                                              The reason for the most common type of nearsightedness is a
                                              difference in the shape of the cornea, which moves the optimum focal
                                              point closer to the eye than it is for "normal" sighted people. So
                                              while it may be harder to focus the eye sharply at far distances,
                                              it's actually _easier_ for nearsighted people to focus at very close
                                              distances, closer than a normal person can focus. Being able to see
                                              clearly at closer-than-normal distances means you don't need as much
                                              magnification to do fine, close-up work -- though of course, HOW
                                              close you can focus depends on just how nearsighted you are. So while
                                              your ability to navigate in unfamiliar environments, recognize faces
                                              at a distance, etc. might be impaired, you might actually be _more_
                                              able to do certain tasks easily (such as fine embroidery) than your
                                              normal-sighted companions. While some form of magnification was
                                              available at some times and places in the Middle Ages, precisely
                                              ground glass lenses were expensive, so being able to do without them
                                              might be something of an advantage.

                                              (This, of course, leaves out all the possible complications -- a good
                                              many people who are nearsighted also have astigmatism or other visual
                                              problems, which might interfere with good close vision as well.)

                                              I also suspect that many people who have never experienced vision
                                              correction might be less aware of limitations and actually might see
                                              better than modern people who _have_ worn glasses. I can certainly
                                              remember that when I first wore glasses (around age 8 or 9) I was
                                              surprised at how much blurrier my vision was when I took them off
                                              than it had been before I ever tried them.

                                              My eye doctor later explained to me that there's a reason for this:
                                              being able to see "clearly" is actually as much a function of the
                                              brain as it is a function of the eye. The eye always presents the
                                              brain with multiple images, varying in sharpness, and with time, the
                                              brain learns to pick out the one that's clearest and ignore all the
                                              others. Glasses, in particular (it's less true of contact lenses)
                                              change the focal distance in such a way that the brain is forced to
                                              choose a _different_ image than the one it would choose without
                                              glasses -- as witness the fact that most people take a few days to
                                              adjust to glasses with a new prescription (I always found that my
                                              feet looked too far away until I adjusted). Then when you take the
                                              glasses off, the brain still chooses the same (new) image, which is
                                              now fuzzy. So someone who's never tried spectacles might very well
                                              see a bit more clearly at a distance than someone who's used to
                                              spectacles.

                                              While I think most people know, I should also point out that physical
                                              disability didn't necessarily "doom" a woman to life in a monastery.
                                              Parents' reasons to dedicate a daughter to a monastery were many and
                                              various, including how much it would cost to provide a marriage dowry
                                              versus a monastery entrance fee, the daughter's own preference,
                                              possibilities for a politically successful marriage alliance and so
                                              forth. A disability that affected the possibility of bearing children
                                              might well tip the balance toward monastery life, since a woman
                                              suspected to be "barren' would be a much less attractive marriage
                                              prospect, but I'm not sure one could say that other disabilities
                                              would necessarily have the same effect. I don't have a lot of data on
                                              this subject, but it would be interesting to find out to what extent
                                              this common stereotype actually is or isn't borne out by the facts.

                                              O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
                                            • Sue Warner
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 12, 2006
                                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@...> wrote:

                                                > Actually, I think nearsighted people whose vision isn't corrected
                                                > might have some advantage when it comes to extremely fine work.

                                                Oh tell me about it---

                                                My eye Dr. has *estimated* my vision at 5/1400, needless to say my
                                                *clear* vision stops about 3 inches from my nose. (I am literally at
                                                arms length to the eye chart till I can see the "big E" on top.)

                                                However, withen that 3 inches of clear vision I can see things that
                                                most other people can't.

                                                A for instance - when I was younger I had contact lenses (can't wear
                                                them anymore-->sigh<) and I kept the right one frome the left one
                                                straight by the code numbers around the edge. His Nurse told me that
                                                she needed to use the microscope to see them and I wasn't supposed to
                                                know that they were there.

                                                I now work in the electronics devision and I can't tell you how often
                                                my co-workers call me over to "read" the numbers on the parts. They
                                                need to find an open microscope to read them.

                                                So you won't find me at an event without the specs, I would be too
                                                much of a health hazard to myself and the people around me. (tent
                                                ropes disapear and so do the list ropes at a distace of about 3 feet.)

                                                Mariassa Ashgrove (the near blind - thank you glasses)