Emergency (on my part) foodways request

  • Pete McKee
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
      Greetings all,

      I've had to take on this foodways program literally at the last
      moment (it starts tommorrow morning). It is a food preservation
      program set in early 17th century Virginia. I'm planning on several
      ongoing demonstrations and hands on activities throughout the day.
      I've got green beans that I plan to have visitors help to string on
      thread for drying. I have turnips and beets for the kids to bury in
      a tub of dry sand. When one group leaves, we can dig 'em up and do
      it again. Squash for cutting up and drying. I intended to do this
      with Pumpkins, but only 3 days after All Hallows and there are none
      to be had??? I had also intended on making onion braids. Of
      course, there are no green onions in the several stores I checked.
      Instead I got a head of cauliflower, some pearl onions, and a gallon
      of vinegar. And there's my problem. I haven't made pickles since I
      helped Granny do it when I was a kid, lo these many decades ago. We
      have clay storage jars, and can cover them with clean linen when
      they're filled.

      But to avoid making a fool of myself when describing the pickling
      process, what do I need to know other to than soak the stuff in
      vinegar for a long time? I can only use ingredients reasonably
      available in 1610 - 1622 Virginia.

      Thanks so much! You folks have been quite a help to me in the past.

      Take care,
      Pete McKee
    • Luiseach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
        Salt your veggies first to draw out some of the water, let them sit maybe
        half an hour, wipe/rinse and dry them then add the vinegar.

        Luighseach

      • Pete McKee
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
          Thank you, Luighseach. My wife, who was raised on a farm, also gave
          me the same advice. The program went very well. I often had 4 or 5
          kids at a time threading beanpods, peeling onions, and scooping the
          pulp out of the squash. We constantly had the chickens underfoot,
          going after all the dropped bits and pieces. We now have a few
          strings of beans drying by the chimney in the wattle & daub Planters
          house, a tub of sand laced with turnips & beets in a back corner of
          the tobacco barn, and 2 trays of drying squash cubes that we can reuse
          in a Native American program next Saturday. We had our basket of
          games out by the door of the house. There were a couple of times that
          we had a group of kids working and another playing. When that
          happened, we had fun telling the fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant.

          Thanks again for the help with the short notice request. Folks here
          seem to always come through.

          Take care,
          Pete Mckee