Re: [Authentic_SCA] Mustard Soup/Medieval soups

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      At 3:50 PM +0000 31/10/06, Frederick wrote:
      >Anyone know the history of mustart soup?
      >
      >I have an event where we need to bring some food. I have no clue about
      >authentic food, just how to make mustard soup.

      On the web page linked below is a discussion of whether or not
      mustard soup is from SCA-period. It appears that it is not, but there
      is a recipe for what may be its origin, mustard sops from Le Viandier
      de Taillevent:
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/mustard-soup-msg.html
      The Florilegium, where Stefan collects messages from various SCA
      e-lists and some from before e-lists, when folks were out on the
      Usenet. Not everything there is historically accurate, but there are
      also some excellent discussions and some very good essays there.

      Another common recipe, also not SCA period, but, hey, i LOVE mustard,
      seems to be Dutch in origin. It can be found at numerous websites. I
      don't know if it's like the one you make.
      Zaansemosterdsoep
      http://dinnercoop.cs.cmu.edu/dinnercoop/Recipes/karen/ZaanSoup.html

      I gather also that some SCAdians use some variation of this one...
      Mustard Soup
      (Adapted from E.B. Aresty The Delectable Past)

      2 Tb. butter
      2 Tb. flour
      2-1/2 cups thoroughly skimmed hot chicken stock
      1/2 tsp. salt
      a dash of white pepper
      1/2 tsp. finely minced onion
      3 Tb. Dijon or other good quality prepared mustard
      [NOT "French's yellow mustard"]

      Melt butter and stir in flour, blending smoothly
      Add hot chicken stock and whisk until smooth.
      Add salt, pepper, and minced onion.
      Cool mixture slightly.
      Add mustard just before serving.
      Can be served hot or cold.

      This one is also an extreme deformation of Taillevent's Mustard Sops

      -----

      Now, if you would like some recipes actually from within
      "SCA-period"... what sorts of food would you like to bring to this
      pot-luck? I'm sure some of us would be happy to help you make
      something more historically accurate.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita