RE: [Authentic_SCA] Fencing garb for women

  • Kelsie
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
      MODERATOR EDIT - KINDLY DO NOT TOP POST. PLEASE TRIM YOUR POSTS AS A COURTESY TO THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE LIST. THANK YOU.

      I often fight in whatever I'm wearing (14th C).
      I puncture test my "outfits". With the layers of shift, lined supportive
      kirtle and gown, they're good to go.

      Then I put on a puncture proof hood and tuck it well into the neckline, add
      neck and face protection, gloves.

      I wear a belt around the hips and pouch up the (4" on the ground) skirts,
      just like the dancing pictures.

      I did find I needed to slit the seam in the shift, as they are not gored.

      Unfortunately the sword doesn't match the outfits, but then neither does the
      mask, and it's less fuss than getting changed into special clothes.

      I also fight in late 16thC boy clothes, as a eccentric woman, rather than as
      a man, and could easily swap my pants for a skirt, or wear both a la
      Dangerous Beauty.

      Cecilia