Re: Swaddling

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
      There's not much documentation on the everyday details of women's work, that's for sure.
      I've never heard of hanging babies up, nor seen those movies, but I'll give you an educated
      guess based on linguistics, anthropology and being over 50 years old and interested in the
      Middle Ages and children both as long as I can remember. Some native Americans hung
      babies or carried them on boards. That was remarkable to the Europeans who came here.
      They wrote home about it. Had it been something they had reason to believe their own
      ancestors did, they might have lauded the locals as being advanced in that one way or
      something. But we have no word for it, and there are no paintings of Jesus hung on the
      wall of the manger, so I'm guessing no way.

      -------------------------
      I wrote the following in an off topic thread and I hope it won't commandeer the swaddling
      question too much for me to leave it here. It was suggestions for someone expecting.

      One VERY simple thing to do is to tie cotton cloth over a disposable diaper or plastic
      pants, if you use those. Some moms are starting not to use that stuff, which is pretty nice,
      so they'd be able to use real cotton (though not swaddling).

      One of my daughter's best baby dresses only tied in the back. She was little enough to be
      held all the time and couldn't walk, so the big skirt cloth would be tucked around her.

      If you go to a fabric store and look at christening costumes there will be some bonnets
      and some long baby gowns that you could use as basic costumes. Maybe you can find
      period family portraits showing babies and between the two of them get some wearable
      and documentable stuff.

      Ceremonial clothing for holidays is the last stuff to change, and christening gowns are
      often handed down, so seriously--they will be based on historical things that were based
      on other...

      AElflaed of Duckford
      Outlands
    • Rebecca Lucas
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
        I remember that there is a woodcut from Olaus Magnus' " Historia de Gentibus
        Septentrionalibus" which shows a Sami woman skiing to church with a baby in
        a basket on her back.
        I think the picture I'm thinking of, is the one here:
        http://www.sapere.it/tca/MainApp?srvc=dcmnt&url=/tc/sport/percorsi/Sci/Storia_sci/Medioevo/Medioevo_sci2.jsp
        (or http://snipurl.com/ysda )

        I'm not sure if the baskets in Historia were what Magnus really saw, or if
        it is how an illustrator interpreted his text to be. But I can see the
        similarities between the woodcut of a woman carrying children on her back,
        and the photograph from this exhibit on Native American cradle baskets.
        http://www.gracehudsonmuseum.org/events_archive16.html

        Hope this helps,
        ~Asfridhr