RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Book Review - Power and Profit: The Merchant in Medieval Europe

  • Wanda Pease
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2006
      Johanna,

      Have you read:
      Magdalena and Balthazar: An Intimate Portrait of Life in 16th-Century
      Europe Revealed in the Letters of a Nuremburg Husband and Wife by Steven
      Ozment (Hardcover - 1986)

      Also anything on the Three Behaim Boys - Growing up in early modern
      Germany. This family and the Fuggers are two of the most notable non-nobles
      (they could buy and sell most nobles) in Germany. The Medici without the
      dazzled by royalty thing.

      Regina Romsey

    • Marion McNealy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
        Johanna,
        My persona's is from there as well, so I've done a lot of research on that town. Steven Ozment is a history professor at Harvard and has written many non-fiction books using extant family archives and letters from people in the town. If you haven't read any of his books I highly recommend them. That's one of the benefits of focusing on Nuremburg, a lot of artwork and letters survived, so its a much easier place to research than other towns.

        -Marion (aka Sophia Kress, traveling merchants wife from Nuremberg)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
          For 20 bucks, you got a good deal.
          I read it this summer; was a bit disappointed in the relative scarcity
          of info about early period (i.e., before 13th century) But the
          illustrations are great.

          Deroch