RE: [Authentic_SCA] dreded

  • Geoffrey Schemel
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
      MODERATOR NOTE:
      PLEASE BE SURE TO SIGN ALL POSTS TO THIS LIST
      THANK YOU

      Assuming your dreads are not too extreme a simple hair covering like a wimple/veil should cover it up nicely. This may not be pre-christian but you get the picture. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best one and a period head covering would probably be the easiest route.
    • liz bradford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        >>My question is, what cultures/time periods did women
        have hair that was dredded or braided or whatever you
        want to call it?<<

        Dear Lady, have a look at this page, especially the
        paintings at the bottom:

        http://myra.hem.nu/costume/costume_framset.htm

        This German garb circa 1500 features beautiful
        embroidered turbans. it would be easy to hide
        voluminous dreds beneath them. The rest of the site is
        great too, she also shows how to make a stiffened head
        wrap on one of the pages (it takes some searching!)

        My daughter age 8 has shoulder length 'locs. I made
        her a headwrap out of a piece of linen approx 12 x 20"
        rectangular. On the long sides , I edged it with a
        thin bias tape that extends out 15"' from each end.
        One set of tapes tie in front over her forehead back
        to under her hair and the other set ties opposite,
        from the nape of her neck to the front.

        It looks great and holds her hair up and out of the
        way.
        Also a knitted snood would look lovely... it would not
        hide your hair, but shape it into a period sillouette.

        Vriend en schild,
        Lysebet van der Wilgen

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Francesca Tiepolo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          Greetings,

          I have seen some persona's using a combination of veil/hat and hairpieces to complement their persona. I don't think you should worry about your modern hair so much when it comes to picking a persona. Even with dreds tucked into a snood or under a veil you are still attempting to keep within the period.

          My persona would see most of her counterparts with bleached hair & I really don't see that happening in my modern life. My friend has an Indian persona and she has red hair. She has a period hair style for her persona but most certainly the colour won't fool anyone - but she decided the wig wasnt for her.

          I would suggest to go with whatever makes you comfortable.

          YIS

          Francesca Tiepolo

        • katherinethrockmorton
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx"
            <xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx@...> wrote:

            > I have red hair, and its all in messy dredlocks. My question is, what
            > cultures/time periods did women have hair that was dredded or braided
            > or whatever you want to call it?

            Dredlocks were worn in India in various times and places during the
            SCA period, especially by Savite acestics.

            Assuming that you want to be European, I would suggest finding a time
            period where women wore veils that covered their hair completely.

            -Katherine