RE: [Authentic_SCA] dreded

  • J. May
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
      Islamic Spain and Maghreb (sp)? I have been reading just today about the
      blending of cultures there in Yedida Stillman's _Arab Dress_. Of course
      there is little on hair, except that you get to see it sometimes. :)

      Otherwise any culture where you cover your hair should be fine, which really
      is the majority of the scope of the SCA. As long as you can keep your hair
      away from your face with a bandana most veiling will be easy to control. In
      fact, I usually put small braids into my hair so I have something to pin my
      veils to. Many places in the Italian Renaissance, Burgundian (with the caul
      and hats!), 13th C German, 12th C Fatimid-- and many more that I can't come
      up with off the top of my head.

      This group is likely going to give you answers more specific than
      "acceptable for SCA standards". The SCA rules only roughly state " _an
      attempt at_ the Middle Ages and Renaissance of Western Europe before the
      17th Century" (emphasis mine). With authenticity in mind, we tend to go
      above and beyond. :)

      Hope that helps,
      Samia

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
        MODERATOR NOTE:
        PLEASE BE SURE TO SIGN ALL POSTS TO THIS LIST
        THANK YOU

        Assuming your dreads are not too extreme a simple hair covering like a wimple/veil should cover it up nicely. This may not be pre-christian but you get the picture. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best one and a period head covering would probably be the easiest route.
      • liz bradford
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          >>My question is, what cultures/time periods did women
          have hair that was dredded or braided or whatever you
          want to call it?<<

          Dear Lady, have a look at this page, especially the
          paintings at the bottom:

          http://myra.hem.nu/costume/costume_framset.htm

          This German garb circa 1500 features beautiful
          embroidered turbans. it would be easy to hide
          voluminous dreds beneath them. The rest of the site is
          great too, she also shows how to make a stiffened head
          wrap on one of the pages (it takes some searching!)

          My daughter age 8 has shoulder length 'locs. I made
          her a headwrap out of a piece of linen approx 12 x 20"
          rectangular. On the long sides , I edged it with a
          thin bias tape that extends out 15"' from each end.
          One set of tapes tie in front over her forehead back
          to under her hair and the other set ties opposite,
          from the nape of her neck to the front.

          It looks great and holds her hair up and out of the
          way.
          Also a knitted snood would look lovely... it would not
          hide your hair, but shape it into a period sillouette.

          Vriend en schild,
          Lysebet van der Wilgen

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Francesca Tiepolo
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            Greetings,

            I have seen some persona's using a combination of veil/hat and hairpieces to complement their persona. I don't think you should worry about your modern hair so much when it comes to picking a persona. Even with dreds tucked into a snood or under a veil you are still attempting to keep within the period.

            My persona would see most of her counterparts with bleached hair & I really don't see that happening in my modern life. My friend has an Indian persona and she has red hair. She has a period hair style for her persona but most certainly the colour won't fool anyone - but she decided the wig wasnt for her.

            I would suggest to go with whatever makes you comfortable.

            YIS

            Francesca Tiepolo

          • katherinethrockmorton
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx"
              <xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx@...> wrote:

              > I have red hair, and its all in messy dredlocks. My question is, what
              > cultures/time periods did women have hair that was dredded or braided
              > or whatever you want to call it?

              Dredlocks were worn in India in various times and places during the
              SCA period, especially by Savite acestics.

              Assuming that you want to be European, I would suggest finding a time
              period where women wore veils that covered their hair completely.

              -Katherine