dreded

  • xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
      I have red hair, and its all in messy dredlocks. My question is, what
      cultures/time periods did women have hair that was dredded or braided
      or whatever you want to call it? First I was thinking scots or picts
      but I'm beginning to get frustrated at how little solid info there is
      about these (pre-christian) people. Maybe I could go a-viking? I don't
      really want to get settled on one persona only to find that my hair is
      in conflict with that persona, so I would like to know my options for
      staying somewhat accurate without changing my hair. I understand that
      much of the info we do have is more speculation than information so I
      would like to know what is acceptable for SCA standards.
      Thanks, Elena
    • tasha_medvedeva
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx"
        <xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx@...> wrote:

        > I have red hair, and its all in messy dredlocks. My question is, what
        > cultures/time periods did women have hair that was dredded or braided
        > or whatever you want to call it?
        {snip}
        > Thanks, Elena

        You could cover it. There are few cultures and time periods where a
        headdress of some sort would *not* be appropriate. Covering your hair
        is not only period, it keeps it cleaner and keeps you cooler in summer
        (no baked skulls) and warmer in winter.

        I would be disinclined to think that the Norse wore dredlocks, since
        it is specifically mentioned that they combed their hair, and combs
        are commonly found grave goods.

        Tasha
      • J. May
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
          Islamic Spain and Maghreb (sp)? I have been reading just today about the
          blending of cultures there in Yedida Stillman's _Arab Dress_. Of course
          there is little on hair, except that you get to see it sometimes. :)

          Otherwise any culture where you cover your hair should be fine, which really
          is the majority of the scope of the SCA. As long as you can keep your hair
          away from your face with a bandana most veiling will be easy to control. In
          fact, I usually put small braids into my hair so I have something to pin my
          veils to. Many places in the Italian Renaissance, Burgundian (with the caul
          and hats!), 13th C German, 12th C Fatimid-- and many more that I can't come
          up with off the top of my head.

          This group is likely going to give you answers more specific than
          "acceptable for SCA standards". The SCA rules only roughly state " _an
          attempt at_ the Middle Ages and Renaissance of Western Europe before the
          17th Century" (emphasis mine). With authenticity in mind, we tend to go
          above and beyond. :)

          Hope that helps,
          Samia

          I don't really want to get settled on one persona only to find that my hair
          is
          in conflict with that persona, so I would like to know my options for
          staying somewhat accurate without changing my hair. I understand that
          much of the info we do have is more speculation than information so I
          would like to know what is acceptable for SCA standards.
          Thanks, Elena
        • Geoffrey Schemel
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
            MODERATOR NOTE:
            PLEASE BE SURE TO SIGN ALL POSTS TO THIS LIST
            THANK YOU

            Assuming your dreads are not too extreme a simple hair covering like a wimple/veil should cover it up nicely. This may not be pre-christian but you get the picture. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best one and a period head covering would probably be the easiest route.
          • liz bradford
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
              >>My question is, what cultures/time periods did women
              have hair that was dredded or braided or whatever you
              want to call it?<<

              Dear Lady, have a look at this page, especially the
              paintings at the bottom:

              http://myra.hem.nu/costume/costume_framset.htm

              This German garb circa 1500 features beautiful
              embroidered turbans. it would be easy to hide
              voluminous dreds beneath them. The rest of the site is
              great too, she also shows how to make a stiffened head
              wrap on one of the pages (it takes some searching!)

              My daughter age 8 has shoulder length 'locs. I made
              her a headwrap out of a piece of linen approx 12 x 20"
              rectangular. On the long sides , I edged it with a
              thin bias tape that extends out 15"' from each end.
              One set of tapes tie in front over her forehead back
              to under her hair and the other set ties opposite,
              from the nape of her neck to the front.

              It looks great and holds her hair up and out of the
              way.
              Also a knitted snood would look lovely... it would not
              hide your hair, but shape it into a period sillouette.

              Vriend en schild,
              Lysebet van der Wilgen

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Francesca Tiepolo
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
                Greetings,

                I have seen some persona's using a combination of veil/hat and hairpieces to complement their persona. I don't think you should worry about your modern hair so much when it comes to picking a persona. Even with dreds tucked into a snood or under a veil you are still attempting to keep within the period.

                My persona would see most of her counterparts with bleached hair & I really don't see that happening in my modern life. My friend has an Indian persona and she has red hair. She has a period hair style for her persona but most certainly the colour won't fool anyone - but she decided the wig wasnt for her.

                I would suggest to go with whatever makes you comfortable.

                YIS

                Francesca Tiepolo

              • katherinethrockmorton
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx"
                  <xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx@...> wrote:

                  > I have red hair, and its all in messy dredlocks. My question is, what
                  > cultures/time periods did women have hair that was dredded or braided
                  > or whatever you want to call it?

                  Dredlocks were worn in India in various times and places during the
                  SCA period, especially by Savite acestics.

                  Assuming that you want to be European, I would suggest finding a time
                  period where women wore veils that covered their hair completely.

                  -Katherine