Gates of Hell reference

  • alluwolf
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me find an actual reference
      for calling the sidless surcoat the gates of hell?
      So far I have only seen it mentioned on websites and nothing very
      official.
      Is there a period document of some sort that made reference to this
      practice, or does someone know a secondry source that references a
      primary source?
      Or is there a place someone could suggest I look, Googling brings up
      nothing and I really have no idea where to start.

      Thanks,
      kathleen
    • azilisarmor
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2006

        > Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me find an actual
        reference
        > for calling the sidless surcoat the gates of hell?

        Try Lurie's biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Don't remember if
        there is a direct quote from Bernard of Clairvaux or no, but she
        documents her sources pretty well.

        Deroch