Re: [Authentic_SCA] A question about peace

  • NINacide@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
      I'm working on a theory that peace does not exist. As a concept in the
      dictionary, yes it does, but in practice it doesn't. Like baboon or chimp
      communities, only conflict arises.

      Mikhail (the peace agnostic)

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

        > I'm working on a theory that peace does not exist.

        Not European, but might poke a hole in your theory. It helps to have
        relative geographic isolation.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heian_period

        Jehanne de Wodeford, West
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
          At 1:55 PM -0400 07/09/06, NINacide@... wrote:
          >I'm working on a theory that peace does not exist. As a concept in the
          >dictionary, yes it does, but in practice it doesn't. Like baboon or chimp
          >communities, only conflict arises.
          >
          >Mikhail (the peace agnostic)

          There are periods of general peace in some times and places. There
          just isn't universal and permanent peace for those living on planet
          Earth.

          Perhaps you need to define what you mean by peace.
          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
            At 11:14 AM -0700 07/09/06, lilinah@... wrote:
            >At 1:55 PM -0400 07/09/06, NINacide@... wrote:
            >>I'm working on a theory that peace does not exist. As a concept in the
            >>dictionary, yes it does, but in practice it doesn't. Like baboon or chimp
            >>communities, only conflict arises.
            >>
            > >Mikhail (the peace agnostic)
            >
            >There are periods of general peace in some times and places. There
            >just isn't universal and permanent peace for those living on planet
            >Earth.
            >
            >Perhaps you need to define what you mean by peace.

            Sorry. My mind is on some other things at the moment. What i meant
            here, but expressed perhaps a bit abruptly is that for a
            philosophical or even historical discussion of "peace", the term
            needs to be defined by the person who is instigating the "argument"
            (and i mean this in a philosophical sense).

            So what i did not say explicitly, but meant, is that since Mikhail is
            interested in discussing this issue, and since he is the one
            broaching the point, then for the sake of discussion it is necessary
            for him to define the word "peace" as he means it.

            It would be difficult for other people to address his issue without
            knowing what he means when he says "peace".

            We may say that we agree or disagree with him, but we may be using
            different definitions, and ultimately our points of agreement or
            disagreement may be different. In this sort of discussion, we cannot
            assume we all agree on what we mean by "peace".

            And if Mikhail wishes to use a dictionary definition, then he needs
            to specify which dictionary, as all dictionary definitions are not
            the same.

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:
              > Not European, but might poke a hole in your theory. It helps to have
              > relative geographic isolation.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heian_period

              Pooh! I hit send before I was finished!

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_period

              Jehanne de Wodeford, West
            • NINacide@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                hypotheses are allowed to have holes poked in them, it's the scientific
                method, not religion.

                Mikhail

              • NINacide@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                  In the context of the known world, excluding areas with large gaps of
                  unknown history, what was the maximum amount of time, from all of Europe, Northern
                  Africa, Middle and Far East, that had the least amount of Famous wars,
                  rampages, invasions, civil war, massacres, crimes against humanity, wars legal and
                  illegal, religious murder, and so forth. When was the time when a person was
                  most likely to spend either a significant amount of his life, or even his
                  whole life without knowing conflict or worrying about being killed. I'd like
                  to structure a micro event around this time period and place.

                  Mikhail

                • lilinah@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                    At 3:17 PM -0400 07/09/06, NINacide@... wrote:
                    >In the context of the known world, excluding areas with large gaps of
                    >unknown history, what was the maximum amount of time, from all of
                    >Europe, Northern
                    >Africa, Middle and Far East, that had the least amount of Famous wars,
                    >rampages, invasions, civil war, massacres, crimes against humanity,
                    >wars legal and
                    >illegal, religious murder, and so forth. When was the time when a person was
                    >most likely to spend either a significant amount of his life, or even his
                    >whole life without knowing conflict or worrying about being killed. I'd like
                    >to structure a micro event around this time period and place.

                    Cool. I'll see what i can turn up. One thing i know is that in some
                    polities, the edges might be under threat while folks living in the
                    major cities and surrounding countryside are living in peace and
                    bliss for several generations. Would this be sufficient to satisfy
                    your search? If so, i'll see if i can be more specific.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                      It's a good start, but finding a broader scope would be more sufficient, to
                      allow a variety of cultures to mingle in this "era of peace".

                      Mikhail

                    • Robert Van Rens
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                        What makes you think this was a time of peace? Internal conflict continued
                        apace under the Tokugawa Shogunate...Japanese history is at least a bloody
                        as European, just a bit more formalized. The shoguns wiped out a huge
                        number of daimyo families, and spent the next two hundred years stamping out
                        brushfire rebellions. Those swords weren't just for show, folks...

                        And while we're at it, let's all agree never, ever to use Wikipedia as
                        source material. Doing so is the epitome of "I read it on the Internet"...
                        Since anyone with any kind of agenda can alter the information presented
                        there at will, it's very hard to accept that it ahs ANY kind of scholarly
                        rigor.

                        Eadric the Potter

                        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heian_period
                        >

                        >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_period

                        Windows Live Spaces is here! It�s easy to create your own personal Web site.
                        http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx
                      • lilinah@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                          At 3:51 PM -0400 07/09/06, NINacide@... wrote:
                          >It's a good start, but finding a broader scope would be more sufficient, to
                          >allow a variety of cultures to mingle in this "era of peace".
                          >
                          >Mikhail

                          Since you're not quoting from the messages you're responding to, i
                          don't know if you're answering me or Jehanne.

                          Would a situation where the edges might be in occasional conflict but
                          the center wasn't be sufficient? In such as case it could be that one
                          border was a bit unsettled while other borders were calm.

                          There were periods where Persian was at peace with most of its
                          neighbors to the east and the west, but not with one or two neighbors
                          in the northeast or northwest, but the only places where this was
                          noticeable was on those particular borders. The rest of the Empire
                          was at peace.

                          And, trust me, the Persian Empire was itself already a mingling of a
                          variety of cultures. While the Courts and the Learned might know a
                          couple languages (Persian and Arabic), each part of Persia spoke a
                          difference and often unrelated language.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Van Rens" <rvanrens@...>
                            wrote:
                            > And while we're at it, let's all agree never, ever to use Wikipedia as
                            > source material.

                            It's not. It's a place to start, on what I thought might be an
                            unfamiliar subject to the party who originally inquired. That's all.

                            I posted the Edo period link because it describes a similar period of
                            enforced isolation from the outside world as the late Heian - as you
                            might have figured out from previous posts, I've gotten interrupted
                            rather a lot this morning.

                            Besides, it's all part of my campaign to erase the popular
                            misconception that I actually know everything.

                            Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom
                          • lilinah@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                              At 4:09 PM -0400 07/09/06, Robert Van Rens wrote:
                              >And while we're at it, let's all agree never, ever to use Wikipedia as
                              >source material. Doing so is the epitome of "I read it on the Internet"...
                              >Since anyone with any kind of agenda can alter the information presented
                              >there at will, it's very hard to accept that it ahs ANY kind of scholarly
                              >rigor.

                              Can you see my library from where you are? OK, i'm holding this book
                              up to my monitor, can you see it now? How about if i hold it up to my
                              modem... is that any better?

                              Often the Wiki or some other web site is useful to refer someone to
                              for information they are unfamiliar with. The idea is to stimulate
                              further research. Clearly one must use informed good judgement in
                              selecting websites.

                              In a recent study of the Wikipedia comparing it to the Encyclopedia
                              Brittanica, it turned out that the Wikipedia had close the same error
                              rate as the Encyclopedia - and the researchers were quite astonished,
                              since before doing the study they had assumed that the Wiki would be
                              extremely flawed.

                              Obviously anyone who *limits* there research to the internet will
                              probably NOT get what they paid for... they will have spent a lot of
                              time on superficial and often faulty information... and they may have
                              wasted their time and brain cells.

                              I'm sure Jehanne will reply, but i know she doesn't limit herself to
                              the internet. Pointing someone to some info in the 'net is just more
                              convenient than trying to get everyone on this list in someone's
                              living room.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                Ah, yes, the Britannica...another bastion of scholastic integrity. Saying
                                that Wikipedia has roughly the same error rate isn't REALLY all that
                                impressive...

                                My point is this; the article is an EXREMELY brief treatment of an incedibly
                                complex topic, one that is rendered more complex by the fact that most
                                Westerners are completely clueless when it comes to Asian history, or
                                historical point-of-view. Japanese historiography is a field that mostly
                                doesn't exist in the English language, but there are good, detailed,
                                scholarly works on the subject, in English even.

                                My PROBLEM is that this incredibly un-detailed, incomplete, factually vague
                                article is used as support for an assertion that ISN'T TRUE.

                                We don't cite the Britannica as an authority on anything - at least, I
                                don't, and I hope no one else here does, either. Why Wikipedia? 'Cause
                                it's convenient?

                                I admit to bias. As a frequent researcher, sometime professional academic,
                                and frequent user of the university system, I have high standards for
                                research and documentation. That's why I'm here - I thought the whole point
                                of this listserve was to raise the level of scholarly discourse.

                                The problem with sources like Wikipedia, Britannica, Worlds Book, etc, is
                                that they are so vague that they are often wrong. It's like your junior
                                high history textbooks - you know, the ones that covered world history in
                                300 pages, with illustrations. I defy you to show me any broad assertion in
                                that book that cannot be disproven with a minimum of research.

                                Yeah, we can't all come visit each other's living rooms and peruse each
                                others libraries. That's no excuse for lack of critical faculty in
                                evalauting the sources we DO cite.

                                I'm just trying to do it a little more rigorous, and little more in-depth,
                                and little better than has been done before.

                                Rob Van Rens

                                All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!
                                http://www.windowsonecare.com/trial.aspx?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
                              • Robert Van Rens
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  >I posted the Edo period link because it describes a similar period of
                                  >enforced isolation from the outside world as the late Heian

                                  But what does enforced isolation have to do with peace? The samurai under
                                  the Tokugawa Shogunate were fratricidal maniacs, albiet rules-obsessed
                                  ones...and the Heian period is marked by constant civil strife.

                                  Incidentally, it was the Tokugawa shoguns who developed the first
                                  Japanese-made gunpowder weapons, to help supress restive daimyos.

                                  Eadric the Potter,

                                  who studied Japanese history and language for years, and still has barely
                                  scratched the surface.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    At 5:21 PM -0400 07/09/06, Robert Van Rens wrote:
                                    SNIP
                                    >My point is this; the article is an EXREMELY brief treatment of an incedibly
                                    >complex topic, one that is rendered more complex by the fact that most
                                    >Westerners are completely clueless when it comes to Asian history, or
                                    >historical point-of-view. Japanese historiography is a field that mostly
                                    >doesn't exist in the English language, but there are good, detailed,

                                    Jehanne was making a suggestion to Mikhail who had presented a very
                                    vague topic. Given the context, her citation was probably sufficient.

                                    >I admit to bias. As a frequent researcher, sometime professional academic,
                                    >and frequent user of the university system, I have high standards for
                                    >research and documentation. That's why I'm here - I thought the whole point
                                    >of this listserve was to raise the level of scholarly discourse.

                                    Well... one would hope.

                                    >The problem with sources like Wikipedia, Britannica, Worlds Book, etc, is
                                    >that they are so vague that they are often wrong. It's like your junior
                                    >high history textbooks - you know, the ones that covered world history in
                                    >300 pages, with illustrations. I defy you to show me any broad assertion in
                                    >that book that cannot be disproven with a minimum of research.

                                    Come on, now. There's a great deal more information dealt with in the
                                    Britannica than in a jr. hi. "world" history book. Encyclopediae are
                                    just meant to present general surveys of information to an educated
                                    general public - specific encyclopediae address different levels of
                                    education - the Britannica is usually at a "higher" level than the
                                    World Book. Clearly no single article pretends to present its topic
                                    in depth. But an encyclopedia or wiki article might be a decent start
                                    for someone who has no idea what terms like "viking" or "heian" or
                                    "abbasid" refer to.

                                    >Yeah, we can't all come visit each other's living rooms and peruse each
                                    >others libraries. That's no excuse for lack of critical faculty in
                                    >evalauting the sources we DO cite.

                                    Web sites are starting places. If someone wants a quick idea what
                                    something looks like or a quick read on some history, pretty much
                                    everyone with e-mail access has web access. It's much quicker and
                                    easier to point someone to a web site than to suggest they find their
                                    nearest university library and see if they can get access to the
                                    stacks to find some specialized texts.

                                    Here where i live, the UC-Berkeley does NOT let people in who are not
                                    students or paid up alumnae/alumni. If you are a member of the
                                    "general public", in order to get access you must present yourself
                                    and some ID to the Research Librarian, tell him/her what you want to
                                    do, and get a pass... and the RL is not there evenings or weekends,
                                    when most of us will have the time to drop by. And you can't take any
                                    books out - and the photocopy machines in the library are dreadfully
                                    expensive and not very good. As a resident of the area, i could pay
                                    in the vicinity of $150 annually for a library card to the
                                    UC-Berkeley, but i can't really afford that right now.

                                    The local public library has rather limited resources, and a rather
                                    surprising number of books are permanently missing.

                                    I figure that if someone finds the brief glimpse they got of
                                    something on a web site is interesting enough, they can do more
                                    research. But until one begins doing research, one cannot have a good
                                    idea which are the best sources. When one comes to a topic fresh, one
                                    can use what critical facilities one has, but one will at that point
                                    be lacking in actual details - which are not only historical details
                                    of the subject, but knowledge of historiography (the history of the
                                    study of the subject, for those unfamiliar with such terms), and what
                                    agendae have motivated researchers, leading to lacunae in the
                                    information or biases in the presentation of the information.

                                    Often people end up using not very good print sources because they
                                    don't understand the historiography and/or their local libraries
                                    don't have good sources, and no one is helping them to understand the
                                    flaws and failings in the books they are reading.

                                    And i know that quite a few people in the SCA are not interested in
                                    doing graduate level research on every single topic that may come
                                    through this list, but they may be curious what the discussion is
                                    about. A web site can give them an idea, and they may, or may not,
                                    choose to pursue further research.

                                    >I'm just trying to do it a little more rigorous, and little more in-depth,
                                    >and little better than has been done before.

                                    Since the instigating post on this thread was rather vague - just
                                    what *did* Mikhail mean by "peace" - and the entire world between the
                                    Fall of Rome and the end of 1600 covers a rather large area and a
                                    rather long time, it is difficult to be rigorous in the circumstances.

                                    This is, after all, an e-mail list, and we don't all have access to
                                    the same books on all the possible topics there are. But we do all
                                    have access to the 'net. I don't think it's bad to start someone off
                                    with a website for some general ideas.

                                    Now, if this were a very specifically focused thread, it would make
                                    much more sense to provide resources for deeper information.

                                    If Japanese history is your focus, perhaps you could make some
                                    specific suggestions to books in English (or other Western European
                                    languages).
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                      wrote:
                                      > But what does enforced isolation have to do with peace?

                                      That is up to Mikhail to decide. He hasn't provided a definition of
                                      what he is considering "peace" yet. However, both these periods are
                                      often represented as "peaceful," perhaps stereotypically and falsely.
                                      Again, up to him to investigate, it's his theory he wants to prove or
                                      disprove.

                                      Geographic isolation doesn't guarantee peace, but tends to reduce the
                                      risk of invasion from the outside. Which is not to say that the
                                      Japanese were not perfectly capable of fighting amongst themselves -
                                      and did.

                                      YMMV. I'm still learning this stuff myself.

                                      Jehanne de Wodeford, West
                                    • Robert Van Rens
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006

                                        >Jehanne was making a suggestion to Mikhail who had presented a very
                                        >vague topic. Given the context, her citation was probably sufficient.

                                        Granted, it was a vague topic.

                                        > > I thought the whole point
                                        > >of this listserve was to raise the level of scholarly discourse.
                                        >
                                        >Well... one would hope.

                                        So, let's begin with the basics, shall we?

                                        >Come on, now. There's a great deal more information dealt with in the
                                        >Britannica than in a jr. hi. "world" history book.

                                        Only because it has more pages. Of course, the number of additional topics
                                        it deals with are, well, innumerable.

                                        >Encyclopediae are
                                        >just meant to present general surveys of information to an educated
                                        >general public - specific encyclopediae address different levels of
                                        >education - the Britannica is usually at a "higher" level than the
                                        >World Book.

                                        The both have same basic weakness; the articles are such superficial
                                        treatments of the topics that they are often WRONG by vitrue of ommission.
                                        The Wiki article at hand is just such a case.

                                        >Clearly no single article pretends to present its topic
                                        >in depth. But an encyclopedia or wiki article might be a decent start
                                        >for someone who has no idea what terms like "viking" or "heian" or
                                        >"abbasid" refer to.

                                        Yes, this is a very good use for encyclopedias. Less so for Wiki, since,
                                        as I pointed out the information CAN be changed by anyone, and therefore
                                        cannot be relied to be factual.

                                        >It's much quicker and
                                        >easier to point someone to a web site than to suggest they find their
                                        >nearest university library and see if they can get access to the
                                        >stacks to find some specialized texts.

                                        Yes, that is true. But even on the web, there are better sources availible.
                                        They don't have to be specialized texts.

                                        >Here where i live, the UC-Berkeley does NOT let people in who are not
                                        >students or paid up alumnae/alumni. If you are a member of the
                                        >"general public", in order to get access you must present yourself
                                        >and some ID to the Research Librarian, tell him/her what you want to
                                        >do, and get a pass.......... As a resident of the area, i could pay
                                        >in the vicinity of $150 annually for a library card to the
                                        >UC-Berkeley, but i can't really afford that right now.

                                        Similar policies are in effect at most university libraries, in my
                                        experience. I live a LONG way from any decent reearch libraries; I use
                                        inter-library loan a lot. Even the tiny, understocked local library is able
                                        to get things via ILL.

                                        >But until one begins doing research, one cannot have a good
                                        >idea which are the best sources.

                                        YES! YES! YES! Something we agree on!

                                        >When one comes to a topic fresh, one
                                        >can use what critical facilities one has, but one will at that point
                                        >be lacking in actual details - which are not only historical details
                                        >of the subject, but knowledge of historiography (the history of the
                                        >study of the subject, for those unfamiliar with such terms), and what
                                        >agendae have motivated researchers, leading to lacunae in the
                                        >information or biases in the presentation of the information.
                                        >
                                        >Often people end up using not very good print sources because they
                                        >don't understand the historiography and/or their local libraries
                                        >don't have good sources, and no one is helping them to understand the
                                        >flaws and failings in the books they are reading.

                                        WE AGREE HERE TOO!

                                        >This is, after all, an e-mail list, and we don't all have access to
                                        >the same books on all the possible topics there are. But we do all
                                        >have access to the 'net. I don't think it's bad to start someone off
                                        >with a website for some general ideas.

                                        You've kinda missed my whole point; SPECIFICALLY Wikipedia is open-source
                                        material, able to be modified by ANYONE, regardless of their knowledge of
                                        the topic. My assertion is that it therefore has limited validity, since
                                        there's no way to restrict posting and rewriting by anyone for any reason.
                                        For instance, the Templar conspiracy theorists ahve a field day with
                                        Wikipedia; periodically, someone goes in and prunes out all the trash, and
                                        it grows back again, and it gets pruned back, and it gorws again, etc etc
                                        etc.

                                        There ARE very good sources online. I'm not attacking web-based research in
                                        general; I just have a problem with anyone relying on Wikipedia.

                                        >If Japanese history is your focus, perhaps you could make some
                                        >specific suggestions to books in English (or other Western European
                                        >languages).

                                        Actually, it's not - sort of a past hobby. But I'll look through my
                                        personal library and see what I can suggest.

                                        Eadric the Potter

                                        Got something to buy, sell or swap? Try Windows Live Expo
                                        ttp://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com/
                                      • Andrea Hughett
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 8, 2006
                                          --- NINacide@... wrote:

                                          > When was
                                          > the time when a person was
                                          > most likely to spend either a significant amount of
                                          > his life, or even his
                                          > whole life without knowing conflict or worrying
                                          > about being killed. I'd like
                                          > to structure a micro event around this time period
                                          > and place.

                                          Oh, that makes it much easier! Malory's version of the
                                          Pax Arthuriana gets my vote.

                                          Andrea of Anglespur
                                          kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                                          So many books, so little time!

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Chris Laning
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 9, 2006
                                            At 9:35 PM -0400 9/7/06, Robert Van Rens wrote:
                                            >You've kinda missed my whole point; SPECIFICALLY Wikipedia is open-source
                                            >material, able to be modified by ANYONE, regardless of their knowledge of
                                            >the topic. My assertion is that it therefore has limited validity, since
                                            >there's no way to restrict posting and rewriting by anyone for any reason.

                                            Not quite true.

                                            Wikipedia does have rules and limits, though as one might expect with
                                            such a large body of information, enforcement is sporadic. In many --
                                            but of course not all -- areas there are people who do keep an eye on
                                            articles in their field of interest, and who jump in when
                                            misinformation is posted and promptly correct it. There are also
                                            rules about what sorts of information may and may not be added to
                                            Wikipedia articles -- for one thing, they would prefer only to have
                                            previously published information with the source cited -- and in the
                                            areas I look at, the monitors have been fairly prompt to flag, if not
                                            remove, things that don't meet those standards. Another big no-no is
                                            violation of the "neutral point of view," i.e. slanting the
                                            information to advance one view over others. These violations, being
                                            more apt to draw complaints, tend to be jumped on even more promptly.
                                            In some cases, an article may be "frozen" and future edits
                                            prohibited, either permanently or until disputes are resolved. Repeat
                                            offenders can also be banned.

                                            So it's true that if you only look at a Wikipedia article this
                                            Thursday at 4:00pm, it may be outrageously wrong in some aspect. But
                                            if you check back next Sunday, it may well have been corrected. This
                                            does not make Wikipedia "reliable" but it explains why its accuracy
                                            overall is able to be rather higher than is sometimes assumed.
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 9, 2006
                                              A person only has to look as far as the definition of the SCA on wiki to
                                              know how inaccurate it is.

                                              Mikhail

                                            • kittencat3@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 10, 2006
                                                Some Wikipedia articles are accurate, some are not. Regardless, it's not
                                                considered a valid source academically. I wouldn't use it as documentation
                                                unless the article was confirmed by print sources, and I say that as someone who's
                                                seriously considering writing an article on medieval quilts.

                                                Sarah Davies, OL

                                              • annikki@comcast.net
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 10, 2006
                                                  From: NINacide@...
                                                  > A person only has to look as far as the definition of the SCA on wiki to
                                                  > know how inaccurate it is.
                                                  >
                                                  > Mikhail

                                                  I'm confused. How is that oh-so-terribly-inaccurate? Heck, the article as a whole seems fantastic.

                                                  Adele Defsontaines