Re: [Authentic_SCA] gilding pewter (differentiating chess pieces)

  • Steve Vaught
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.
      Rebecca,

      Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other pieces off one oyu found. I have been looking for years for a chess set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • bex_1014
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
        wrote:
        > Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other
        pieces off one you found. I have been looking for years for a chess
        set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far
        have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

        The chess set that is being made for me is 14th C in design, and is
        based off a mixture of extant pieces (mostly ivory ones that have
        survived), with some pieces also based off descriptions, surviving
        carvings, statuary, manuscript illuminations and memorial
        brasses/carvings. I have about 50 MB of images that I have collected
        on the 14th C, about half of which were scanned from books.
        However, if it is 15th C you are interested in, I'll put what little
        I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess". I
        like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
        amber. You might also get ideas from 15th c editions of Jacobus de
        Cessolis' book which has an exceedingly long Latin name: 'Liber de
        moribus hominum et officiis nobilium sive super ludo scacchorum'
        ('Book of the customs of men and the duties of nobles or the Book of
        Chess'), and was copied (with illustrations) widely throughout Europe.
        If you find any facsimile that's commercially available, let me know.
        I found a few extracts from a copy online at:
        http://classes.bnf.fr/echecs/grand/4_02.htm
        Meanwhile, for anyone that's interested, check out
        http://history.chess.free.fr/first-european.htm
        which goes up to the 14th C.
        An excellent book on the subject, if you can find it, is
        "CHESS: the story of chesspieces from antiquity to modern times", by
        by Hans and Siegfried Wichmann (Author), Cornelia Brookfield and
        Claudia Rosoux (Translator). Crown: New York, 1964. ASIN: B000CRJJV2
        Try a big library or university library. Unfortunately it's only
        black-and-white photos, but they are big and clear, and lots of them.
        Searching museums etc using
        http://www.insecula.com/us/
        also helped me find a lot of images - search using French terms if
        you can. Chess is "echecs", you can also turn up good stuff by
        searching for King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Aufin, Rook, etc.
        Here's a link to an ivory knight from the 15th C:
        http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/O0008558.html
        There are 2 sorts of chess pieces out there - the miniature figures
        sort, and the stylised sort. Both seem to be used by the nobility,
        but stylised ones were probably more affordable in materials like
        bone, wood and metal for the merchants and poorer people.
        HTH,
        Rebecca
        PS - If people are interested, when my set is finished I can post
        pics, but it is a few months off yet. Orders taken.
      • bex_1014
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014" <tonkin.rebecca@...>
          wrote:
          > I'll put what little
          > I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess".

          On looking it up, I find I actually only have one image... but I'll put
          it in there.

          > like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
          > amber.

          That's rock crystal and smoky topaz, sorry. :-) I'm not sure what the
          metal fittings are.
          Rebecca