Re: [Authentic_SCA] gilding pewter (differentiating chess pieces)

  • Tyghra na Tintagel
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.

      > Would burnishing gold leaf on to the appropriate areas work?
      > I don't need the entire piece gold, just things like the King's crown
      > and sceptre.

      Hi,
      I've always been told that you don't mix your gold/silver tools with
      tools that work with pewter because the pewter lemel (itty bitty
      filings) will create pitting holes in the precious metals. My
      thoughts are that you'd have to encase the pewter very heavily with
      another medium as a barrier between the pewter and the gold leaf.

      Cheers,
      ~ Tyghra
    • Steve Vaught
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.
        Rebecca,

        Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other pieces off one oyu found. I have been looking for years for a chess set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

        Thanks,

        Steve
      • bex_1014
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
          wrote:
          > Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other
          pieces off one you found. I have been looking for years for a chess
          set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far
          have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

          The chess set that is being made for me is 14th C in design, and is
          based off a mixture of extant pieces (mostly ivory ones that have
          survived), with some pieces also based off descriptions, surviving
          carvings, statuary, manuscript illuminations and memorial
          brasses/carvings. I have about 50 MB of images that I have collected
          on the 14th C, about half of which were scanned from books.
          However, if it is 15th C you are interested in, I'll put what little
          I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess". I
          like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
          amber. You might also get ideas from 15th c editions of Jacobus de
          Cessolis' book which has an exceedingly long Latin name: 'Liber de
          moribus hominum et officiis nobilium sive super ludo scacchorum'
          ('Book of the customs of men and the duties of nobles or the Book of
          Chess'), and was copied (with illustrations) widely throughout Europe.
          If you find any facsimile that's commercially available, let me know.
          I found a few extracts from a copy online at:
          http://classes.bnf.fr/echecs/grand/4_02.htm
          Meanwhile, for anyone that's interested, check out
          http://history.chess.free.fr/first-european.htm
          which goes up to the 14th C.
          An excellent book on the subject, if you can find it, is
          "CHESS: the story of chesspieces from antiquity to modern times", by
          by Hans and Siegfried Wichmann (Author), Cornelia Brookfield and
          Claudia Rosoux (Translator). Crown: New York, 1964. ASIN: B000CRJJV2
          Try a big library or university library. Unfortunately it's only
          black-and-white photos, but they are big and clear, and lots of them.
          Searching museums etc using
          http://www.insecula.com/us/
          also helped me find a lot of images - search using French terms if
          you can. Chess is "echecs", you can also turn up good stuff by
          searching for King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Aufin, Rook, etc.
          Here's a link to an ivory knight from the 15th C:
          http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/O0008558.html
          There are 2 sorts of chess pieces out there - the miniature figures
          sort, and the stylised sort. Both seem to be used by the nobility,
          but stylised ones were probably more affordable in materials like
          bone, wood and metal for the merchants and poorer people.
          HTH,
          Rebecca
          PS - If people are interested, when my set is finished I can post
          pics, but it is a few months off yet. Orders taken.
        • bex_1014
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014" <tonkin.rebecca@...>
            wrote:
            > I'll put what little
            > I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess".

            On looking it up, I find I actually only have one image... but I'll put
            it in there.

            > like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
            > amber.

            That's rock crystal and smoky topaz, sorry. :-) I'm not sure what the
            metal fittings are.
            Rebecca