Re: [Authentic_SCA] gilding pewter (differentiating chess pieces)

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
      I would say that laying down a gilding base such as gum arabic or garlic
      juice and gilding it should work. Of course, the gold will come off with
      too much handling and would then need to be re-applied.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la now I have to go look stuff up....

    • Tyghra na Tintagel
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.

        > Would burnishing gold leaf on to the appropriate areas work?
        > I don't need the entire piece gold, just things like the King's crown
        > and sceptre.

        Hi,
        I've always been told that you don't mix your gold/silver tools with
        tools that work with pewter because the pewter lemel (itty bitty
        filings) will create pitting holes in the precious metals. My
        thoughts are that you'd have to encase the pewter very heavily with
        another medium as a barrier between the pewter and the gold leaf.

        Cheers,
        ~ Tyghra
      • Steve Vaught
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.
          Rebecca,

          Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other pieces off one oyu found. I have been looking for years for a chess set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

          Thanks,

          Steve
        • bex_1014
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
            wrote:
            > Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other
            pieces off one you found. I have been looking for years for a chess
            set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far
            have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

            The chess set that is being made for me is 14th C in design, and is
            based off a mixture of extant pieces (mostly ivory ones that have
            survived), with some pieces also based off descriptions, surviving
            carvings, statuary, manuscript illuminations and memorial
            brasses/carvings. I have about 50 MB of images that I have collected
            on the 14th C, about half of which were scanned from books.
            However, if it is 15th C you are interested in, I'll put what little
            I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess". I
            like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
            amber. You might also get ideas from 15th c editions of Jacobus de
            Cessolis' book which has an exceedingly long Latin name: 'Liber de
            moribus hominum et officiis nobilium sive super ludo scacchorum'
            ('Book of the customs of men and the duties of nobles or the Book of
            Chess'), and was copied (with illustrations) widely throughout Europe.
            If you find any facsimile that's commercially available, let me know.
            I found a few extracts from a copy online at:
            http://classes.bnf.fr/echecs/grand/4_02.htm
            Meanwhile, for anyone that's interested, check out
            http://history.chess.free.fr/first-european.htm
            which goes up to the 14th C.
            An excellent book on the subject, if you can find it, is
            "CHESS: the story of chesspieces from antiquity to modern times", by
            by Hans and Siegfried Wichmann (Author), Cornelia Brookfield and
            Claudia Rosoux (Translator). Crown: New York, 1964. ASIN: B000CRJJV2
            Try a big library or university library. Unfortunately it's only
            black-and-white photos, but they are big and clear, and lots of them.
            Searching museums etc using
            http://www.insecula.com/us/
            also helped me find a lot of images - search using French terms if
            you can. Chess is "echecs", you can also turn up good stuff by
            searching for King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Aufin, Rook, etc.
            Here's a link to an ivory knight from the 15th C:
            http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/O0008558.html
            There are 2 sorts of chess pieces out there - the miniature figures
            sort, and the stylised sort. Both seem to be used by the nobility,
            but stylised ones were probably more affordable in materials like
            bone, wood and metal for the merchants and poorer people.
            HTH,
            Rebecca
            PS - If people are interested, when my set is finished I can post
            pics, but it is a few months off yet. Orders taken.
          • bex_1014
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014" <tonkin.rebecca@...>
              wrote:
              > I'll put what little
              > I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess".

              On looking it up, I find I actually only have one image... but I'll put
              it in there.

              > like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
              > amber.

              That's rock crystal and smoky topaz, sorry. :-) I'm not sure what the
              metal fittings are.
              Rebecca