gilding pewter (differentiating chess pieces)

  • bex_1014
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4 8:08 PM
      Hi all:
      I decided to commission a chess set from a friend who does castings in
      pewter and resin. I found a nice little extant gilded bronze chess
      piece from the late 14th C in a museum, and was very happy.
      Unfortunately, the period method of gilding I've found involved boiling
      mercury. Does anyone know if you can apply gold to a metal base - in
      this case gold to pewter - in a safe, non-toxic, relatively inexpensive
      way?
      Would burnishing gold leaf on to the appropriate areas work?
      I don't need the entire piece gold, just things like the King's crown
      and sceptre.
      thanks,
      Rebecca
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4 9:15 PM
        I would say that laying down a gilding base such as gum arabic or garlic
        juice and gilding it should work. Of course, the gold will come off with
        too much handling and would then need to be re-applied.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la now I have to go look stuff up....

      • Tyghra na Tintagel
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5 2:59 AM
          MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.

          > Would burnishing gold leaf on to the appropriate areas work?
          > I don't need the entire piece gold, just things like the King's crown
          > and sceptre.

          Hi,
          I've always been told that you don't mix your gold/silver tools with
          tools that work with pewter because the pewter lemel (itty bitty
          filings) will create pitting holes in the precious metals. My
          thoughts are that you'd have to encase the pewter very heavily with
          another medium as a barrier between the pewter and the gold leaf.

          Cheers,
          ~ Tyghra
        • Steve Vaught
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5 3:25 AM
            MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST. THANK YOU.
            Rebecca,

            Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other pieces off one oyu found. I have been looking for years for a chess set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

            Thanks,

            Steve
          • bex_1014
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5 8:36 PM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
              wrote:
              > Did you find a complete set of pieces or is he basing the other
              pieces off one you found. I have been looking for years for a chess
              set that I could possibly use for my 15th cnetury group and so far
              have been unsuccessful. COuld you sned me pictures of the pieces?

              The chess set that is being made for me is 14th C in design, and is
              based off a mixture of extant pieces (mostly ivory ones that have
              survived), with some pieces also based off descriptions, surviving
              carvings, statuary, manuscript illuminations and memorial
              brasses/carvings. I have about 50 MB of images that I have collected
              on the 14th C, about half of which were scanned from books.
              However, if it is 15th C you are interested in, I'll put what little
              I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess". I
              like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
              amber. You might also get ideas from 15th c editions of Jacobus de
              Cessolis' book which has an exceedingly long Latin name: 'Liber de
              moribus hominum et officiis nobilium sive super ludo scacchorum'
              ('Book of the customs of men and the duties of nobles or the Book of
              Chess'), and was copied (with illustrations) widely throughout Europe.
              If you find any facsimile that's commercially available, let me know.
              I found a few extracts from a copy online at:
              http://classes.bnf.fr/echecs/grand/4_02.htm
              Meanwhile, for anyone that's interested, check out
              http://history.chess.free.fr/first-european.htm
              which goes up to the 14th C.
              An excellent book on the subject, if you can find it, is
              "CHESS: the story of chesspieces from antiquity to modern times", by
              by Hans and Siegfried Wichmann (Author), Cornelia Brookfield and
              Claudia Rosoux (Translator). Crown: New York, 1964. ASIN: B000CRJJV2
              Try a big library or university library. Unfortunately it's only
              black-and-white photos, but they are big and clear, and lots of them.
              Searching museums etc using
              http://www.insecula.com/us/
              also helped me find a lot of images - search using French terms if
              you can. Chess is "echecs", you can also turn up good stuff by
              searching for King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Aufin, Rook, etc.
              Here's a link to an ivory knight from the 15th C:
              http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/O0008558.html
              There are 2 sorts of chess pieces out there - the miniature figures
              sort, and the stylised sort. Both seem to be used by the nobility,
              but stylised ones were probably more affordable in materials like
              bone, wood and metal for the merchants and poorer people.
              HTH,
              Rebecca
              PS - If people are interested, when my set is finished I can post
              pics, but it is a few months off yet. Orders taken.
            • bex_1014
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5 8:53 PM
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014" <tonkin.rebecca@...>
                wrote:
                > I'll put what little
                > I have in a folder on the Photos section labelled "15th C Chess".

                On looking it up, I find I actually only have one image... but I'll put
                it in there.

                > like the late 14th/early 15th Burgundian set in rock crystal and
                > amber.

                That's rock crystal and smoky topaz, sorry. :-) I'm not sure what the
                metal fittings are.
                Rebecca