Re: Elizabethan period jack coats?

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Pete McKee" <p_mckee3@...> wrote:

      > Could anyone point me to one or more illustrations of late 16th
      > century jack coats? The only one I have is a side view with a detail
      > of the lattice stitching holding the jacks in place. It appears to be
      > made on a doublet pattern. I'd be interested to see a front view to
      > get an idea of the closure. Also does anyone have any thoughts on
      > whether or not the jacks were held in place with anything other than
      > the visible outer stitching? Seems to me that damage to that would
      > compromise the armour. Thanks.

      There are a couple of nice examples in the Royal Armoury in Leeds, England. One is
      described thus:

      Jack of Plate
      English, about 1580-90
      Formed of small iron plates sewn between layers of felt and canvas. It is unique in
      retaining its matching sleeves. Both the jack and the sleeves are styled according to
      contemporary civilian fashion.

      There is also a very cool "defensive hat":

      Defensive Hat
      English, about 1580-90
      Formed of small iron plates sewn between layers of canvas. It may originally have been
      covered over with a finer material to make it resemble an ordinary civilian hat.

      Contact me privately if you would like pictures.

      Regards,

      Tom R.
      tom at his dot com